Starting Guide for New Players (Madden NFL 08)

Raeat
Rookie

Re: Starting Guide for New Players (Madden NFL 08)

Postby Raeat » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:11 am

Something in Calhoupe's scripts is removed with my graphics, so I had to remove the whole works, and reinstall everything - this time leaving Calhoupe's scripts out of the picture (so to speak). I was seeing graphics glitches like segments/ribbons of jerseys in the Create A Team function, or when editing a team via the roster. It was also not letting me update any edits. Maybe this has something to do with TexMod; I don't know. I did have opportunity to look through some of the options of Calhoupe's scripts and I'd like to use them, but not at the expense of not being able to create custom teams.

Can anyone offer any advice, please?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Do you have any mods installed or are you running default madden?

tomservo
Rookie

Postby tomservo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:58 pm

I downloaded the 4GB patch and followed the instructions, but I get a message "Can't open executable." It is mainapp.exe that we're supposed to be loading, right?

I do notice after re-installing the game, that it freezes several times when loading, I need to exit the window and re-enter it, and it eventually catches up. But I think the 2GB restriction (I have 8GB on my desktop) could be part of the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:42 am

tomservo wrote:I downloaded the 4GB patch and followed the instructions, but I get a message "Can't open executable." It is mainapp.exe that we're supposed to be loading, right?

I do notice after re-installing the game, that it freezes several times when loading, I need to exit the window and re-enter it, and it eventually catches up. But I think the 2GB restriction (I have 8GB on my desktop) could be part of the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes, it's mainapp.exe.

Are you making sure you're using calhoupe's scripts to run the game if you're on Windows 10? Also, have you tried the following:

1. Check the Basic Troubleshooting Checklist?
2. Set mainapp.exe (or calhoupe's scripts) to run as Administrator?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

tomservo
Rookie

Postby tomservo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:36 am

I may have missed Calhoupe's scripts. My bad, I didn't realize that was a prerequisite.

Raeat
Rookie

Postby Raeat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Rixster67r wrote:Do you have any mods installed or are you running default madden?

Thank you for responding.

I first installed things precisely as indicated in the first post of this thread. Precisely.
Then I removed texmod.
Fought with it a bit.
Started over.

Installed everything except texmod stopping at Calhoupe's Scripts.
Things are mostly working perfectly now, but I would like to add most of Calhoupe's scripts. If I could just avoid the additions that mess with the player uniforms graphics.

My version of Madden 08 came with the EASports 08 Collection.

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Raeat wrote:Something in Calhoupe's scripts is removed with my graphics, so I had to remove the whole works, and reinstall everything - this time leaving Calhoupe's scripts out of the picture (so to speak). I was seeing graphics glitches like segments/ribbons of jerseys in the Create A Team function, or when editing a team via the roster. It was also not letting me update any edits. Maybe this has something to do with TexMod; I don't know. I did have opportunity to look through some of the options of Calhoupe's scripts and I'd like to use them, but not at the expense of not being able to create custom teams.

Can anyone offer any advice, please?

If you mean the uniforms for created teams are messed up when you're creating them, try renaming the UNIFORMS.dat file in your documents folder temporarily. That should fix the uniforms when you're creating the teams. Afterwards just rename the file back to the original name. Let me know if this helps!

tomservo
Rookie

Re: Starting Guide for New Players

Postby tomservo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:50 am

RevanFan wrote:
Avexos wrote:Downloaded and installed the necessary files for the v.4 update, then downloaded and installed the FF mod. However, when I enter the game, the rosters are jumbled and removed like no other. Wrong players on wrong teams, old players with new (incorrect) player portraits, and zero new players.

Did you load the Default Roster and make sure ALL FIVE packages are installed into the correct locations.

Which 5 packages? Does that mean all of Calhoupe's scripts?

I also wanted to ask a basic question, as I used to be pretty good with Madden 08 modding and I have a good bit of files left over form my original time with M08. But it's been a while, and it's like learning a foreign language, not using it for 10 years, then reading an essay you wrote in that language and not being able to read it :) . I see there are a LOT of modding utilities. I understand that all you really need for graphics modding (other than Paint tools) is Texmod. But what are the others for? MadMod X, Dat Editor & File Replacer, Madden Uniform Editor and Ripper, TPFExtract, etc. What exactly are .dat and .tpf files?

I don't think I need a detailed tutorial, just the basic steps for uniform modding and the 411 on the utilities I mentioned above. Is just Texmod enough? Appreciate it! Once I get back up and going with this again I hope to be providing a lot of mods of my own.

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Starting Guide for New Players

Postby RevanFan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:14 am

tomservo wrote:Which 5 packages? Does that mean all of Calhoupe's scripts?

I also wanted to ask a basic question, as I used to be pretty good with Madden 08 modding and I have a good bit of files left over form my original time with M08. But it's been a while, and it's like learning a foreign language, not using it for 10 years, then reading an essay you wrote in that language and not being able to read it :) . I see there are a LOT of modding utilities. I understand that all you really need for graphics modding (other than Paint tools) is Texmod. But what are the others for? MadMod X, Dat Editor & File Replacer, Madden Uniform Editor and Ripper, TPFExtract, etc. What exactly are .dat and .tpf files?

I don't think I need a detailed tutorial, just the basic steps for uniform modding and the 411 on the utilities I mentioned above. Is just Texmod enough? Appreciate it! Once I get back up and going with this again I hope to be providing a lot of mods of my own.

The "five packages" are the required components of the FF/FI Mod. They have nothing to do with the scripts.

.tpf files are files read through TexMod to change game graphics. .dat files are files that modify the game on a permanent basis, such as DB_TEMPLATES.dat and UNIFORMS.dat. When talking graphics specifically, there are two ways to mod the game. You can inject the graphics at launch by using TexMod and .tpf files, or you can use the game's .dat files to literally install the files permanently into the game. This is what the FF/FI Mod does. If you install it, you'll notice many graphics, especially stadiums and uniforms, are completely changed from the original game, but TexMod is never used in the process. It's very convenient for the end user, but it's more difficult for modders to work with. The reason we chose to go that route was the permanence, and the lack of requirements for a third-party program.

MadMod X is not so much a utility as a suite of utilities. It has everything from roster editors to playbook editors to uniform rippers, etc. The DAT File Replacer is essential for editing the game's .dat files, like DB_TEMPLATES.dat. The DB Editor is used to edit things such as .db files (like STREAMEDDATA.db), rosters and franchises (.ros, .fra, .sup, etc.), and files extracted from .dat files using the DAT File Replacer. Usually those two programs, the DB Editor and DAT File Replacer, are used hand-in-hand. If you just plug in the FF/FI Mod and play, you'll likely never need those two, but they're useful to have, especially if you want to dig in and do some modding yourself.

The Madden Uniform Editor and Ripper and TPFExtract are two tools for modding uniforms, but I personally have never used them and can't answer questions about them. The only graphics program I've ever used for Madden is DEXEXPAND, which I only use to splice together bits of uniforms we already have.

Hopefully some of this helps, and I understand it can be quite confusing. Frick, I almost confused myself writing this haha. But, I'm here to help however I can.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Mr-b0jangles
Rookie

Postby Mr-b0jangles » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:11 pm

Hey,

So I have everything installed correctly and running fine for the most part. I have the updated rosters, the 4gb patch, texmod with the HD mod running and Calhoupe's Madden Scripts. When I launch the game, I open Calhoupe's nad run texmod, from there I rain Calhoupe's mainapp from the Madden folder and everything works just fine. I have been able to finish a few games in my franchise but I get crashes really frequently and Ollydbg never gives me the option to debug even though I have followed all the instructions perfectly. One thing I am wondering is are Calhoupe's scripts built into Ollydbg and so they are running and preventing crashes at all times when I play Madden or was I supposed to add them in somehow? Because I don't see a script list or anything, I just open Ollydbg and load texmod through there and that's it. Am I missing something here? The crashes are becoming frustrating. Thanks!

Return to “FAQs”