madden 08 with mods is it superior to madden nfl 20?

boloss
Rookie

Postby boloss » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 am

i am looking around to buy it but neither ebay nor amazon has it...but i am looking forward to getting it.
is it better with mods for the gameplay the graphics?
could u give a few topic to read prior the bought of madden nfl 08?

Sponsor

Sponsor

mike9472
MVP

Re: madden 08 with mods is it superior to madden nfl 20?

Postby mike9472 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:51 pm

I've made my feelings pretty clear in past posts that I'm 100% a Madden 08 supporter. I will only admit that Madden 20 has better graphics and TV style presentation, but I found the gameplay to be horrible. Madden 20 did slightly fix the ball carrier controls that were botched in 19, but it wasn't enough for my liking. I also like the fact that I have more control in what I can MOD. There aren't that many editing tools for 20 yet and I really didn't understand how to create a roster and import it like on 08. This is just my opinion and here's a youtuber who feels the same as I do

Hope this helps.

grabursock55
MVP

Postby grabursock55 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:30 am

boloss wrote:i am looking around to buy it but neither ebay nor amazon has it...but i am looking forward to getting it.

In my opinion, M08 is FAR superior to any of the newer maddens. Take a look through the Mods or Mods in progress subforums here to see what all is offered in M08. You will need to have a little tech know how to install some mods, but honestly, the new maddens are just so bad (in my opinion).
Making tpf mods and tpf mod accessories.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:54 pm

grabursock55 wrote:
boloss wrote:i am looking around to buy it but neither ebay nor amazon has it...but i am looking forward to getting it.

In my opinion, M08 is FAR superior to any of the newer maddens. Take a look through the Mods or Mods in progress subforums here to see what all is offered in M08. You will need to have a little tech know how to install some mods, but honestly, the new maddens are just so bad (in my opinion).

No, it's not superior in any way remotely! Madden 08 is good but not the best, or even close to Madden 20. The 17 year old motion capture animation engine which was made for Madden 06 is purely outdated and fails repeatedly! The Ai in Madden 08 is extremely glitchy and flawed! Al Michaels calls the wrong formation regularly! The madden playbook editor is garbage! You can't create basic blocking schemes, option routes or basic play action passing in 08! You can't create a run play if it shotgun empty set! The list of failures in Madden 08 is quite lengthy! This info is from my own experiences with the Madden football! Not some ranting guy pointing out every glitch! I enjoy both 08 and 20, 20 is bigger! I think most people say 08 is better because of their comfort level with it. And with 08 being the only PC version for 11 years, says alot about how comfortable we've all gotten with the 08 version! I gave Madden 19 a chance! Madden 19 is as awful bad as Madden 98 was and probable the worst madden ever made for pc!

Comparing Madden 08 to Madden 20 is like comparing a Chevy Impala against a BMW, or Benz or even a Corvette! Which are not comparable in-depth at all!

Madden 08 should be open source by now!
Attachments
screen0213.bmp
AI called this hit Personal Foul, Targeting and ejected my player from the game! JK!! :-)
screen0213.bmp (5.93 MiB) Viewed 4520 times
screen0198.bmp
AI called this not a TD!
screen0198.bmp (5.93 MiB) Viewed 4520 times
screen0178.bmp
AI called this a no catch!
screen0178.bmp (5.93 MiB) Viewed 4520 times

mike9472
MVP

Postby mike9472 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Judging by your 3rd pic (the one where the players on the sideline have 10 ft. arms and legs), your game looks broken. Maybe that's why you have all these situations happen. I made my own generic MOD (very minimal) and have never had any of those things happen to me. Yes the refs make bad calls from time to time, but so do real refs. Calhoupe's scripts are great but some of them cause problems with the game. Again, I tend to go minimal with it too. I use NFL rules, CPU hit stick and TD celebrations. With the awesome rosters made by Rogerjinx and the ability to create and export an unlimited number of custom teams, I have more fun playing Madden 08 than 20.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 am

mike9472 wrote:Judging by your 3rd pic (the one where the players on the sideline have 10 ft. arms and legs), your game looks broken. Maybe that's why you have all these situations happen. I made my own generic MOD (very minimal) and have never had any of those things happen to me. Yes the refs make bad calls from time to time, but so do real refs. Calhoupe's scripts are great but some of them cause problems with the game. Again, I tend to go minimal with it too. I use NFL rules, CPU hit stick and TD celebrations. With the awesome rosters made by Rogerjinx and the ability to create and export an unlimited number of custom teams, I have more fun playing Madden 08 than 20.

I gotta start with the "we're talking about the flawed madden 08 AI." And this statement, "the awesome rosters made by Rogerjinx"! Credit to Jinx, Jinx is my hero! I'm sure I would not have been playing 08 without his work!

If you've been balling Madden 08 since 08 AND "have never had those things happen to me!", you're mod is very generic and you ain't seen jack! Those situations are hilarious and regular!

What do sideline graphics have to do with the games AI? So you saying using TPF's cause the AI to make the incorrect calls, wow! It's a catch! It's a touchdown! Bro, my game is far from broken! The tpf's also stop Al Micheal's from calling the correct sets too huh? TPF sideline images have ZERO to do with the AI. FYI, I was trying to add the old cheerleaders graphics from an older Madden to replace some of the sideline staff and equipment (not pictured)!

What about the poor playbook editor? Madden 08 AI is rich with 3-n-out, poor qb completion %. Simply unrealistic sim numbers where RB's regularly run for 2000 yards. Ten QB's pass for exaggerated 5000 yards! What about the AI punting and kicking horrors you all have with the current mod? That's a major part of the game and the 08 AI fails. That error has haunted the Madden 08 community for as long as I've been a member here, with no fix to date!

Madden 20 franchise has a NFL Head Coach feel to it, which was far superior than 08. Q. What's not fun in Madden 20, beside Charles Davis commentary?

Actually the current Madden 08 mod is what I call bloated! And none of the legacy tpf equipment files work with the current mod which is a complete shame imo! Thanks for TPFEXTRACT! If I create a formation or a play using the external playbook editor, madden 08 don't like them and glitch with alignments in the game! Causing me to waste more time having to creating the plays in Madden and refine them using a user built PBE (far superior than madden's book editor)! You mentioned unlimited teams, yeah... GHT 1.5 is amazing. The good ole' Heisman 11 & 14 Mods! Where are they now??? Madden 08 modding glory is in the past. There's only one current (NFL) mod and it's extremely vanilla, the rest of the mods are old! You can play the XFL :lol: mod if you like! FIFL is a spark if you're into fictional teams and players! She ain't what she used to be dude!

Yeah, so if you want nostalgia, then sure Madden 08 is for you! It does have some great historical mod's! Madden 08 has up-to-date stadiums, players, and uniforms! I will add more up-to-date books to that pile!

It's your baby Mike9472! After I've completed the 2020 playbook set, It's a rap for Madden 08, final season!

mike9472
MVP

Postby mike9472 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:12 pm

#1 As much as I hate to admit it, I'll be 48 this year (providing COVID19 doesn't take me out first). Been playing video games since before there were home consoles. Started with the Atari 2600 and went to the NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and stopped at the PS2. Had a Commodore 64 too but never really did anything with it. Been playing Madden since the 2D SNES days.

#2 That side line catch in your 3rd pic doesn't exist in Madden 08, that was a new feature for Madden 09. If memory serves me correctly, someone took a file from the PS2 Madden 12 and added it to the mod. That's what's causing the stretched out arms and legs. It's my opinion that even though it doesn't crash the game, it's still isn't completely compatible either. It's also my opinion that you get more glitches the more stuff you mod. Especially when you replace graphics with larger "HD" versions. For instance, uniform numbers are 4 bit by default. I've noticed some uniform creators make them 8 bit. I've kept my graphics at the original pixel and bit size and honestly never had any problems. I also notice weird anomalies when using certain scripts like New Moves or Expanded Catching. Fewer Shanked Punts also seems to do the opposite, creates more shanked punts for me.
03.jpg
03.jpg (173.33 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

#3 It's funny when you mentioned the CPU logic because Madden 20 is one of the worst in that category. There are plenty of youtube videos showing blown plays on defense due to players not playing their position properly.

Don't get me wrong, I was ecstatic when the news broke that Madden was returning to the PC. I was extremely disappointed that 19 sucked so bad. 20 was a little better, but the ball carrier controls are still too sensitive. There is no reason why a running back who has a gaping hole to run through, only gets 2 or 3 yards because he keeps stutter stepping/juking side to side for no reason. My hope is that they fix that in 21. That said, I'm not sure what site you're on. I don't really see much going on in the Madden 19+ section, whereas in 08 you have JINX working on current roster transaction, KIT made the new Rams stadium and I uploaded my soloplayers.dat with team logos in place of players. Madden 08 is alive and well and will always be here if you want to come back to the fold. I honestly hope 21 is better, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Oh, and in the 2nd pic you show #82 catching the ball in mid air. Where did his feet land? If his momentum brought him out of the endzone, it's not a TD.

grabursock55
MVP

Postby grabursock55 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:43 am

MikeWest502 wrote:
grabursock55 wrote:

No, it's not superior in any way remotely! Madden 08 is good but not the best, or even close to Madden 20. The 17 year old motion capture animation engine which was made for Madden 06 is purely outdated and fails repeatedly! The Ai in Madden 08 is extremely glitchy and flawed! Al Michaels calls the wrong formation regularly! The madden playbook editor is garbage! You can't create basic blocking schemes, option routes or basic play action passing in 08! You can't create a run play if it shotgun empty set! The list of failures in Madden 08 is quite lengthy! This info is from my own experiences with the Madden football! Not some ranting guy pointing out every glitch! I enjoy both 08 and 20, 20 is bigger! I think most people say 08 is better because of their comfort level with it. And with 08 being the only PC version for 11 years, says alot about how comfortable we've all gotten with the 08 version! I gave Madden 19 a chance! Madden 19 is as awful bad as Madden 98 was and probable the worst madden ever made for pc!

Comparing Madden 08 to Madden 20 is like comparing a Chevy Impala against a BMW, or Benz or even a Corvette! Which are not comparable in-depth at all!

Madden 08 should be open source by now!

Hi, So let me tell you about the phrase "in my opinion" It essentially means "What I think". I'm not sure why you are on a rampage telling everyone their opinions are wrong, but ok...

What I think is that madden for the last 4 years has been the same recycled, broken game. There is no competition to make them even TRY to put out a decent product, so they dont try.

I like that you point out how you cant create certain blocking schemes in madden 08's play editor. At least Madden08 has a playbook editor, where madden 20 just completely scrapped it, along with a laundry list of other features that have been covered extensively on youtube, so I'll leave that searching to you.

I'll be honest, In my opinion, Madden 08 is far superior to Madden 20. I played madden 19, and it is complete and utter trash. ABSOLUTE trash. Player movement is completely unrealistic, plays are obviously scriped, the player warping and overlap is worse than what you see in the M08 games.

Also, ask yourself why you would buy a game that you admitted was total garbage (madden 19) and then buy the same game the following year?

Anyway, I'm not into this whole flame war BS. I wont be returning to this thread. but try not to come on so heavy to people about their opinions. Damn.
Making tpf mods and tpf mod accessories.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:14 pm

mike9472 wrote:
#2 That side line catch in your 3rd pic doesn't exist in Madden 08, that was a new feature for Madden 09. If memory serves me correctly, someone took a file from the PS2 Madden 12 and added it to the mod. That's what's causing the stretched out arms and legs. It's my opinion that even though it doesn't crash the game, it's still isn't completely compatible either. It's also my opinion that you get more glitches the more stuff you mod. Especially when you replace graphics with larger "HD" versions. For instance, uniform numbers are 4 bit by default. I've noticed some uniform creators make them 8 bit. I've kept my graphics at the original pixel and bit size and honestly never had any problems. I also notice weird anomalies when using certain scripts like New Moves or Expanded Catching. Fewer Shanked Punts also seems to do the opposite, creates more shanked punts for me.

Well, here's a clip from Madden 08 Wiki page:
Gameplay
Madden 08 runs at 60 frames per second on the Xbox 360, and 30 frames per second on the PlayStation 3.[9] A new branching animation system allows dynamic gameplay for the first time in the franchise. Players are no longer locked into animations but are now controlled more by the player. Features of the new animation system include mid-air collisions, big-time, one-handed catches, hurdles, sideline catches and gang tackling. Madden 08 brings back some features for its online play; for example, there is the return of Season Mode and tournaments held online. Another updated feature – dubbed Hit Stick 2.0 – allows players to hit high or low by flicking the analog stick up or down.[10] A new fatigue system has been implemented, disallowing users from taking a scrambling quarterback and repeatedly running around behind the line of scrimmage for very long gains.[11] Fatigue also plays a factor when cold-weather teams play in hot weather during the early months of the season.[10] Another feature that returned to this year's incarnation is the much sought after "co-op" play, which had found itself sitting on the sidelines since making the jump to the next-generation consoles. This mode finds players teaming up with a friend and taking on the CPU or two human opponents.

I don't have PS/2 graphics on pc, only uniform.dat from last years mod, ripped equipment from various tpfs and the Madden 12 playbooks! So, my animations are fine! As for #3 The TD, he was tackled at gl, but the pic is simply to show the ball and catch in the EZ, the ball cross the gl, and catch!

If you want the new featured animations one-hand catch attempt, sideline grabs, hit-stick more by cpu, without calhoupe script, the sliders for WR, RB and tackle need to be increased!

Like I said "it's your baby!" Enjoy 08!

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 pm

grabursock55 wrote:
Hi, So let me tell you about the phrase "in my opinion" It essentially means "What I think". I'm not sure why you are on a rampage telling everyone their opinions are wrong, but ok...

What I think is that madden for the last 4 years has been the same recycled, broken game. There is no competition to make them even TRY to put out a decent product, so they dont try.

I like that you point out how you cant create certain blocking schemes in madden 08's play editor. At least Madden08 has a playbook editor, where madden 20 just completely scrapped it, along with a laundry list of other features that have been covered extensively on youtube, so I'll leave that searching to you.

I'll be honest, In my opinion, Madden 08 is far superior to Madden 20. I played madden 19, and it is complete and utter trash. ABSOLUTE trash. Player movement is completely unrealistic, plays are obviously scriped, the player warping and overlap is worse than what you see in the M08 games.

Also, ask yourself why you would buy a game that you admitted was total garbage (madden 19) and then buy the same game the following year?

Anyway, I'm not into this whole flame war BS. I wont be returning to this thread. but try not to come on so heavy to people about their opinions. Damn.

No dude, you're the one trying to bash my opinion of disagreement. Sock's I am so glad you understand english! The original post states madden 08 with mods is superior than Madden 20! My reply was, No, it's not superior. And gave list of my experiences with Madden 08 vs Madden 20, not 19!

In every post, I specifically pointed out flaws of the older game in comparison to the new one, again, from MY experiences! Not one statement did I post disparaging anyone's opinion! No comments stating someone don't know what they talking about, or anything directed to an individual! I disagreed with the topic statement and replied! I didn't link you to some other person's youtube rant video to validate my info, I posted pic's of the in-game failures of MY current experience from my pc. Then Mike says MY game is broken, or MY game is oddly modded to get those effects and post pic's of a ps2 cover to co-oberate his feeling about why my pic's look like they do :lol:, with his take on my game! How Donald Trump is that?

Those pic's are my "matters of fact" demonstrating clear Madden 08 AI failure! Any further objections to my facts will also be overruled! :lol:

In the end you ask a simple question about why purchase 20 when 19 was so bad! I love Madden and hope! I am cool with the Madden 20 product, it's simply refreshing compared to my 12 year Madden 08 experience and meets my Madden expectations! She's not perfect, but she's my starting QB until M21 specs come out! The newer features will dictate the purchase or not!

As for 08, She's all your bud! You take real good care of my ex, I have a new love!

Return to “FAQs”