Madden 08 Franchise Companion

Apt Irrelevance
Rookie

Postby Apt Irrelevance » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:19 pm

If you happen to play Madden 08 in franchise mode, you may be accustomed to using some sort of text document to keep track of your progress or your position needs during free agency and the draft. Being a web developer, I thought I could build something better and more helpful than using Notepad and digging through forum posts for draft and free agency advice. Here's what I came up with.

This is a web app that helps you keep track of your franchise progress and offseason position needs. Just click the link and save it to your bookmarks. No download required.

Features:

Franchise Checklist
Based on the RevanFan and Nza Franchise Guides, you can use this to keep track of your franchise progress by checking off steps as you go. To begin, choose a franchise guide, season number, and year. Each step indicates which program to use to complete it. The app automatically saves your progress as you go with a local cookie file, which allows you to close the tab or browser and pick back up where you left off when you open it again. (Note: YOUR PROGRESS WILL BE LOST IF YOU DELETE YOUR BROWSER COOKIES.) Skip ahead or back to any point in the checklist by clicking the step you want to move to, and the app will automatically adjust your progress.

Draft/Free Agent Helper
Use this to keep track of position needs and review important attributes and advice for each position. Add however many positions and quantities of each you need, then use the reference info to help find your target players. As you go, mark individual players as drafted or acquired in free agency or trade. The board will keep track of how many players are still needed and how many have been acquired.

Attribute Averages Table: Average attribute values per position for different player archetypes. "Draft Class Avg" is average values from 20 game-generated draft classes. "Roster Avg" is average values from all players on the 2020 ROJO Roster v22 file. All other archetypes are from jose21crisis's Draft Class Generator file. The most relevant attributes for each position are highlighted blue.

Advice: Position notes from jose21crisis from this thread.

Superstar Scouting Report Ratings: Info on Madden 08's superstar scouting report data, posted by jose21crisis in this thread. This info highlights what attribute values the game considers good and includes more relevant feedback from jose21crisis.

Feedback
Any and all feedback is welcome. There are lots of info buttons in the app to help explain how everything works, but if you have any questions feel free to post them here or message me.

If you encounter any issues, please let me know and I will do my best to fix them. If you have any suggestions for new features, please post those here as well.

Enjoy!

UPDATES:
v1.2
The checklist has been updated with the following features:
  • The checklist now supports both the RevanFan and Nza franchise guides. It will now ask you to select a guide and enter a season number and year. This info will be displayed at the top once selected. You can use the change button to make changes to these settings at any time.
  • The checklist and tabs on the left now auto-generate based on the guide and season number chosen, so the checklist will be different between season 1 and season 2+
  • The Nza checklist has been reordered to match RevanFan's guide so that season 2+ always starts at the end of the postseason. It's a slight difference to following the main Nza guide but I think ordering it this way makes the most sense.
NOTE: You may need to do a hard refresh (ctrl+F5) to see the changes. If you've already been using the guide, I would recommend making a note of your progress before refreshing, as the checklist steps have been re-arranged (this won't happen again with future updates).

Special thanks to RevanFan for helping me get his guide implemented and answering a lot of my franchise questions.

Next on the update list:
  • Adding support for multiple teams on the draft/FA page
  • Adding a page to keep track of defensive scheme changes for all 32 teams to make adjusting CPU depth charts easier
  • Adding import/export of app save data for backup purposes
I'm committed to getting this forum to the Super Bowl

Sponsor

Sponsor

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Re: Madden 08 Franchise Companion

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 pm

Oh wow, this is actually really cool! I'll see about this once I'm finished working on this mod and have time to run another franchise.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:16 pm

This definitely sounds super interesting. My question is: is this useful for someone who does not use NZA's guide? The only guide I tend to use is my own, because... uh... it's mine haha. But yeah, I've never actually used NZA's guide, but this still sounds cool and I want to try it out.

Of course I could always try a test franchise to try this out.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Wow! Welcome to the FI boards and way to contribute right out of the gate!!

Apt Irrelevance
Rookie

Postby Apt Irrelevance » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

RevanFan wrote:This definitely sounds super interesting. My question is: is this useful for someone who does not use NZA's guide? The only guide I tend to use is my own, because... uh... it's mine haha. But yeah, I've never actually used NZA's guide, but this still sounds cool and I want to try it out.

Honestly, I would really like to add some options that let you choose which franchise guide to go off of. I initially went with NZA's guide for this because that's the one I've been using and I had already written out all the steps in a text document to reference while I played. One of my new feature ideas was to add a list of preferences that would determine which steps to show in the checklist. For example, if you user control all teams and just set the individual coach settings to CPU, you could turn that on and the checklist would adjust the user control steps. I could definitely see adding a preference to let you choose between the two franchise guides, or even some sort of hybrid for people who like NZA's guide but also want to use a practice squad.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:06 am

This is outstanding, very clean & well organized! I have 1 question:

1. For guys who control 2 or more teams in the franchise. Can you add an option for additional Free Agent/Draft tab(s) for each team controlled with the team name? So that the Tab would read "Panther's Draft/Free Agent Helper" etc?

Well Done!

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:43 pm

This sounds real helpful and I am definitely going to put it to use..... Thanks for sharing

Apt Irrelevance
Rookie

Postby Apt Irrelevance » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Appreciate all the comments, everyone. Please let me know your thoughts after playing through a franchise with it.

MikeWest502 wrote:1. For guys who control 2 or more teams in the franchise. Can you add an option for additional Free Agent/Draft tab(s) for each team controlled with the team name? So that the Tab would read "Panther's Draft/Free Agent Helper" etc?

Great idea. I never thought of that, but I don't think it would be too hard to do. I'll add it to the to-do list.

Apt Irrelevance wrote:
RevanFan wrote:This definitely sounds super interesting. My question is: is this useful for someone who does not use NZA's guide? The only guide I tend to use is my own, because... uh... it's mine haha. But yeah, I've never actually used NZA's guide, but this still sounds cool and I want to try it out.

Honestly, I would really like to add some options that let you choose which franchise guide to go off of. I initially went with NZA's guide for this because that's the one I've been using and I had already written out all the steps in a text document to reference while I played. One of my new feature ideas was to add a list of preferences that would determine which steps to show in the checklist. For example, if you user control all teams and just set the individual coach settings to CPU, you could turn that on and the checklist would adjust the user control steps. I could definitely see adding a preference to let you choose between the two franchise guides, or even some sort of hybrid for people who like NZA's guide but also want to use a practice squad.

After some additional thought on this, I've decided to work on adding the RevanFan franchise guide first, then worry about possible options after it's up and running. So the idea will be that the checklist first asks you which guide you want to use, then generates the proper checklist steps.

I will also be updating the Nza checklist slightly so the steps that are only required for the initial season are removed from the checklist after season 1.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:44 pm

Apt Irrelevance wrote:After some additional thought on this, I've decided to work on adding the RevanFan franchise guide first, then worry about possible options after it's up and running. So the idea will be that the checklist first asks you which guide you want to use, then generates the proper checklist steps.

I will also be updating the Nza checklist slightly so the steps that are only required for the initial season are removed from the checklist after season 1.

Man, you're going all out, huh? If you need any assistance from me, I'll provide what I can.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Apt Irrelevance
Rookie

Postby Apt Irrelevance » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:19 pm

RevanFan wrote:Man, you're going all out, huh? If you need any assistance from me, I'll provide what I can.

Yeah, it's kinda my thing. Thanks, I'll let you know if I have any questions.

Return to “General Discussion”