How does the pass blocking logic work?

PatriotFan90
Veteran

Postby PatriotFan90 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:57 pm

How does the pass blocking logic work in Madden 08? How do they determine who gets picked up? Is it like half-slide pass protection, BOB protection, etc? Or, is it just helter skelter? I wish it would tell you presnap so I could know presnap which players to throw hot off of?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dolphan
Pro Bowl

Re: How does the pass blocking logic work?

Postby Dolphan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:58 am

PatriotFan90 wrote:How does the pass blocking logic work in Madden 08? How do they determine who gets picked up? Is it like half-slide pass protection, BOB protection, etc? Or, is it just helter skelter? I wish it would tell you presnap so I could know presnap which players to throw hot off of?

Both run and pass blocking are piss poorly programmed in M08. Blocking assignments don't exist. Linemen will get in the way of other linemen just to block someone 5 yards away.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:27 am

PatriotFan90 wrote:How does the pass blocking logic work in Madden 08? How do they determine who gets picked up? Is it like half-slide pass protection, BOB protection, etc? Or, is it just helter skelter? I wish it would tell you presnap so I could know presnap which players to throw hot off of?

The linemen just block whoever is in their general vacinity the quickest.
You can tell them to slide left/right, to pinch inside or to spread outside so they will block more to that side.
You can tell non-linemen to block to their left or right.
But for the rest, its just a free for all.
No signature needed.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 am

Since every team has different pass/run blocking schemes...Madden went is just basic blocking. Depending the play it my have zone read or man on run and for pass pocket forming man. Unless you edit how plays are actually drawn up and change AI it will always look the same for every team.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:32 pm

To echo Theov: "You can tell the lineman to slide the protection left/right, or pinch inside or spread outside. You can tell non-linemen RB's/WR's to block to their left or right."

Madden 08 has 3 types of pass blocking logic.

A) Pass Blocking - player will block defensively, backing off the LOS 2-5 yards and will allow the defensive player to engage them, blocking the closest defender for the duration of the pass play.

B) Screen Pass Blocking - player will perform normal pass block for only one second, then release the defender, run to the side of the screen pass then switch to lead Run block logic engaging the closest defender.

C) Play-action Pass Blocking - player will move forward to engage the closest defender for only one second (sometimes less) as if to sell the run block (play-action). Then disengage dropping backward performing a normal pass block engaging the closest defender for the remainder of the play.

In all cases, if a pan-cake block is scored the offensive lineman will seek out another defender closest to him.

Also every type of pass block can include the "chop/cut block" logic if you want the player to take out the defender going for the legs to up-end them. The cut block is not guaranteed to be successful. If the player misses, the QB will have less time to pass the ball and get sacked. But when it is successful it's really effective and hilarious to watch the replay in slow motion! It's most effective when a smaller RB has to block a larger defensive player!

PatriotFan90
Veteran

Postby PatriotFan90 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:07 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Return to “General Discussion”