Modding numbers and nameplates - formats

Modifying Madden 19
NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:46 pm

Shout out to everyone, longtime no chat.

Been trying to hone my skills at modifying uniforms in Madden 19. I suspect that what I am about to share will also apply to the newer versions of Madden for PC.

I am finding that the frosty editor does a conversion of your imported images, regardless of what format they are in. Some of the end results of the import conversions may be noticeable while some may not be noticeable.

With regard to nameplates and numbers I have gotten mixed results using dds or png in 8 bit rgb color. This was very frustrating. I have read posts where folks claimed that imports in dds were better and sharper than png and that the png images got distorted when the game camera would zoom out.

I never noticed anything extreme on my end and I have the graphic settings maxed on my pc.....that is until I got to the dolphins uniforms. I had to redo them because EA got them totally wrong with respect to colors on the older uniforms. The teal was too dark and the orange was too red.

Anyway, it seemed that the numbers and nameplates for the white uniforms did deteriorate when the camera zoomed out, even though I set my png's up to function much like a dds file. I did this by making my original image layer background in photoshop to be transparent. I would then add a second layer as a background with the background color at only 5% opacity before I merged the layers. The background would look transparent, but colorwise it was still there. Got great results until I got to the dolphins. The issue may be in the color white I used 240 240 240 and maybe causing a dds conflict with the alpha layer when the frosty editor converts the image on import, don't know.

So I got to thinking, maybe Madden hasn't changed from the 8 bit index or palette color format. With that format every number or font letter has the exact same palette colorwise as the next, usually 16 colors in the palette. I then set my png's up in index color with 16 colors in the palette and got much better results. There is still an issue though when frosty converts the image. The below posted image is an example:

click on image for magnified view:

In the graphic, my image is on the left. The frosty conversion of that image after import is on the right and is not as clean and crisp. BTW the frosty image window by default is magnified about 500% on font images.

So, even though the image is distorted upon import, I am now setting up my nameplates and numbers by using 8 bit rgb index or palette color because I am getting better results and its alot easier to set up the individual image sets by palettes. SEE My number tutorial on morphing numbers. Everything still applies except the steps for alpha blending. Just make sure when you save your index png image you make the first image of the palette transparent by clicking on that color with your palette color picker (photoshop)

You can use my method or Elguapo's for setting up your images and palettes. He should still have a tutorial somewhere on this site.

Would like to show y'all some screenshots of my personal additions to the cowboys doublestar uniform, but I forgot how to take screenshots in game.

What key do I hit?

Anyway, that's it for now. Y'all have a Blessed Day!
JOHN 3:16

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Modding”