Thoughts So Far?

rambolz
All-Pro

Thoughts So Far?

Postby rambolz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:48 am

What are your thoughts so far about the AAF?

Personally, I have watched about 3 games worth of content so far. The only thing bothering me so far is sometimes I don't understand why a penalty was called, and at least during the first week, the commentators did a very poor job of explaining some of the penalties, and I think they should explain them a bit since the rules are new to everyone and differ from the NCAA and NFL. Really the only penalty I don't get sometimes is the "Illegal Defense", and they never bother to explain whether the penalty was because they rushed more than 5 players, or because someone rushed wider than the 2 yards outside tackles, or something else. I found myself confused numerous times during the first few games when "Illegal Defense" penalty was called and I couldn't see anything obvious and no one explained the penalty (the ref just announced the "illegal defense, 15 yards..." and the commentators said nothing about it).

The other thing is the catch rule. What's up with it? I thought they had the NCAA rule that you only need one foot down, in contrast to the NFL where you need both feet in? During a game this past weekend (might've been Stallions - Iron), I thought a player made a clear catch but the refs called incomplete. The commentators said he didn't get 2 feet inbounds and the team didn't challenge. The player clearly dragged one foot inbounds after catching the ball, but the second foot landed out of bounds. Per NCAA (and AAF I thought) rules, that should be a catch? That play left me also very confused about the rules.

But overall, I think the league is a nice opportunity for the players to prove they can play at a higher level, and it's nice as a fan to be able to watch more football after the NFL season ends. I think the NFL will have to keep a close eye on the league and think about whether they want to implement a sky judge system of their own. Either that or make (at least some) penalties reviewable.

Thoughts So Far?

Sponsor

Sponsor

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Re: Thoughts So Far?

Postby sarcasticface » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm

I've liked it. No kickoffs is much better. Fewer commercials is a miracle. I still wish they could do XP, though. I think "Illegal Defense" is the blitz rule. No blitzes from the secondary/no more than 5 "blitzers". My team sucks, though. Lol.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I've always wanted the NFL to have a minor league system, and this is pretty much it... just a bunch of guys who had been on 90 man rosters at one point going at it. Add in a few guys with the "long odds" stories, and the football is decent. It's good to have some of these guys get experience at some level and earn a few bucks. I imagine at the end of the AAF season we'll see several players get chances on 90 man rosters. From what I've seen so far there haven't been many injuries, which is a plus. Oh, and it makes for a good test environment for potential new rules. I don't like the no kickoffs rule or the no blitzing over 5 guys rule, but that's about it for my criticism.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 am

I watched Arizona and Memphis the other day and thought it was a good game......

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:23 pm

So far I think that this will work to a great extent. The way the league is setup it only makes it a win-win for the players. Even though the salaries are low ( 3 yr -$250.000), it makes these guys work to show that they can play. Now some have shown that why they are out of the NFL...Hackenberg and Matt Sims. Trent Richardson is running like a beast and so is Zac Stacy. I like the no kickoff, but I do miss that KO return for a TD. getting rid of the XP kick is better than I thought it would be. I am giving this 3 1/2 Thumbs up. I want to wait till week 5 cause then I think you will seriously see team play much better.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:53 am

I am enjoying the league the new rules are a change. the one thing I gripe about is even though i have the app and can stream every game, i sometimes get only the raw audio..no play by play..sometimes i can get the games on tnt or b/r live. but the ones on cbs sportsnet and NFL network no dice..

alot of these players are veterans of the NFL, some were cut during pre-season, others have bounced from team to team. some were placed on the IR and never signed

Return to “NFL Football”