Potentially “replacing” rosters every year of a Superstar mode to keep everything in the league consistent to real life

natureboy
Pro Bowl

Potentially “replacing” rosters every year of a Superstar mode to keep everything in the league consistent to real life

Postby natureboy » Tue May 19, 2020 7:16 pm

This is a really weird idea that kind of popped into my head a bit ago.

One of the things that turns me off about using old rosters is that I know exactly what happened in real life, therefore it kind of bothers me when “alternate history” takes place. Players retire earlier than real life, coaches get fired, players get cut into the free agent pool.

This is particularly frustrating during superstar mode. I’d like for my world to remain at least a little consistent from year to year, and not the chaos that it usually turns into. Which brings up my idea..

Would it be possible for me to start a career with say, the 2004 rosters (ripped from Madden 05 and plugged into Madden 08) and then every single offseason after that, replace the players and coaches with the successive year? So after the 2004 season, I just somehow inject the 2005 rosters and coaches into the superstar mode file, then carry on for each year after. Essentially keeping the game world consistent with real life, except for what’s happening to my personal player.

Is this feasible? How would I go about doing it?

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Potentially “replacing” rosters every year of a Superstar mode to keep everything in the league consistent to real l

Postby RevanFan » Wed May 20, 2020 3:15 am

natureboy wrote:This is a really weird idea that kind of popped into my head a bit ago.

One of the things that turns me off about using old rosters is that I know exactly what happened in real life, therefore it kind of bothers me when “alternate history” takes place. Players retire earlier than real life, coaches get fired, players get cut into the free agent pool.

This is particularly frustrating during superstar mode. I’d like for my world to remain at least a little consistent from year to year, and not the chaos that it usually turns into. Which brings up my idea..

Would it be possible for me to start a career with say, the 2004 rosters (ripped from Madden 05 and plugged into Madden 08) and then every single offseason after that, replace the players and coaches with the successive year? So after the 2004 season, I just somehow inject the 2005 rosters and coaches into the superstar mode file, then carry on for each year after. Essentially keeping the game world consistent with real life, except for what’s happening to my personal player.

Is this feasible? How would I go about doing it?

I wouldn't recommend it. You can't make edits to what players are on a roster without then auto-reordering the depth chart in-game, and I believe that is impossible in superstar mode, at least for AI teams. Unless you found a way to correct the depth charts you'd get constant crashes.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

natureboy
Pro Bowl

Re: Potentially “replacing” rosters every year of a Superstar mode to keep everything in the league consistent to real l

Postby natureboy » Thu May 21, 2020 3:08 pm

I actually got it to work, but it took some trial and error.

Basically, you make two superstar files, one with the roster you're using (this time it was the Madden 2004 file) and one that you plan to use the following season (Madden 2005 in this case).

Then:

- Simmed the season to training camp of the following year, past all of the FA stuff and into that first week of training camp

- Exported the players out of the Madden 2004 file (the main one I am using) (Naz Editor)

- Went in and exported the Madden 2005 superstar mode players as well. (Naz editor again)

- In Excel, you first put your player into the Madden 2005 Excel sheet, replacing the dummy player you created when you made the second superstar mode with the Madden 2005 roster.

- Then, you leave Excel, and import the 2005 player Excel into the 2004 Superstar file with the Naz editor

- This part is tedious and I'm working on a way to do it more efficiently, but you need to go in and delete all of the CPU generated rookies that the game made before you swapped in the Madden 2005 players. This took me about 30-45 minutes of just mashing "delete player" on all of them in Naz. If you don't, every roster will have between 59-62 people, when you really need it at 55 and below.

- Then, last step, you use Madden AMP to reorder the depth chart.

It did not work right away, but I was able to open up more than one game in superstar mode. I was also able to sim all the way into the next season and into training camp (where I'd perform the same function again with the Madden 06 rosters if I was doing it for real this time). It might take reordering with Madden AMP more than once and then heading into the game and personally re-ordering your own depth chart. The only thing I have left to attempt to do is to try to import the coaches from Madden 2005 in there. I'll probably have to just do that on Excel, since you cannot import coaches with Naz. This part could be tricky.

Regardless, I think I'm on my way to accomplishing what I intended to do. I notice that throughout the years you have taken a dump on reordering depth charts with anything but the in-game depth chart editor, but this seemed to work. I haven't had a problem using that program in the past.

Edit: An alternative option that people could do would be to just import the draft class in during the early off-season using Naz Editor. Considering how many draft classes we have on here, you'd be able to do quite a bit. Obviously, it would not have the consistency that my method has (which is following the real life transactions of the league from year to year), but it's not outside the realm of possibility to do a career from 1990 to 2010 or so with relatively updating rosters. Or you could simply do the 2007 rosters from Madden's default, and update the draft class file from year to year. This is probably the more stable option altogether since Madden 08's default rosters are overall built to function for 30 years, even if there is some serious BS that happens with free agent releasing and early retirements, etc.

LT #78
Pro Bowl

Postby LT #78 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:36 pm

This might be a little too deep, but the NFL would not have all of the same transactions in any alternate universe. It's ridiculous to assume that they would be the same in an alternate universe with an additional superstar player. Adding in real draft classes is a cool idea, but rest of it makes no sense.

natureboy
Pro Bowl

Postby natureboy » Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 pm

I disagree for a few reasons.

1. I'm not trying to really create an "alternate universe", I'm trying to pursue slightly different history where most things stay the same.

2. Madden's superstar mode is not great about letting you know what's going on around the league. This allows for me to easily know what's happening in the league when you can easily look it up online. It keeps things consistent. If I don't win the Super Bowl or claim MVP, it was whoever did in real life. Allows for better comparison of my player's career compared to others when it's exactly the same as real life.

3. The moves that team's make in this game after a few seasons, or even the first, are absolutely perplexing and/or downright awful. Franchise QB's getting released, etc. This completely nullifies it in every conceivable way.

The only point that I will cede is that is a lot of work. But totally worth it for the type of experience I am trying to create.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:20 am

3. The moves that team's make in this game after a few seasons, or even the first, are absolutely perplexing and/or downright awful. Franchise QB's getting released, etc. This completely nullifies it in every conceivable way.

That was solved years ago! To stop cpu teams from releasing them, open franchise in Nza and increase "importance" rating for players. It ties ratings to contract negotiations in-game. By game default, the lower a player ovr is the lower his importance is and contract offered is also low. So even if the player has high rating, but low importance, he can get released or traded for a bargain by cpu controlled teams. And you can stop cpu from making any team transactions like releasing or signing free agents too!

Return to “Rosters”