Playbook advice.

phalanx93
All-Pro

Playbook advice.

Postby phalanx93 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:14 am

I have a run-heavy offensive playbook (see attachment). I like to modify the personnel on a year-by-year basis, especially the 10-backs formation.

Question, what is the most important stat for a running back? Current iteration uses Speed, Strength, and Agility in descending order (Position Choices)
Attachments
Position Choices.ods
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
ALL-I.pbo
(142.52 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Playbook advice.

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: Playbook advice.

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:47 pm

The answer depends in how you're using the RB's. It depends on their tendencies! Speed is very important for back who don't use power to evade tacklers. Power is most important for backs running between tackles. Agility is better served for speed back, more so than power backs. Make sure to define their roles to fit their tendencies! Here's my take!

If I have a back that's over 91 Speed, I give him the Speed tendency etc!

So if tendency is:
Speed:
1. Agility
2. Speed
3. Power

Power:
1. Power
2. Agility
3. Speed

Hope that helps!

Balanced: (Agility and Power can be switched)
1. Speed
2. Agility
3. Power

phalanx93
All-Pro

Postby phalanx93 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:29 pm

Thanks, I don't just use RBs, Depends on the team. I'll be using WR, LB, CB, SS, FS. Though right now, leaning more towards DT, and DE, and occasionally OL, and K/P. QB will make an appearance as a back, but rarely.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:12 pm

phalanx93 wrote:Thanks, I don't just use RBs, Depends on the team. I'll be using WR, LB, CB, SS, FS. Though right now, leaning more towards DT, and DE, and occasionally OL, and K/P. QB will make an appearance as a back, but rarely.

Your question was about the most important stat for the RB (speed, agility, power)! And RB's and WR's should use the same principles! Ex. Devin Funchess (Panthers) is a big WR that does not rely on his speed, but more so his power and agility to get the separation he needs! But Kenny Golladay (Lions) another big WR, relies on his agility and speed, then uses his power to high point and make the spectacular catches look easy over would-be defenders!

I'm sure BUS36 can give you a break down of the most important stat for the OL and other positions you're asking about! He's got real experience as player and coach!!!!!

phalanx93
All-Pro

Postby phalanx93 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:16 pm

Guess I should have been more clear, I apologize. Given the playbook, I sub in whoever tops the stat profile on each team (usually play 8 during franchise mode) started with Break Tackle, come to find out, some of those guys with high Break Tackle are very slow, and the play is hybrid pitch/jet sweep, always to the outside.

Given that, what stat might I want to focus on?

The playbook is a good starting point for reference, almost an A-11 concept.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:44 pm

phalanx93 wrote:Guess I should have been more clear, I apologize. Given the playbook, I sub in whoever tops the stat profile on each team (usually play 8 during franchise mode) started with Break Tackle, come to find out, some of those guys with high Break Tackle are very slow, and the play is hybrid pitch/jet sweep, always to the outside.

Given that, what stat might I want to focus on?

The playbook is a good starting point for reference, almost an A-11 concept.

You can have a high break tackle/slow speed, but he should be running plays north/south giving him best opp to gain + yards! QB as HB, make sure he's running a, toss, screen maybe, even a HB pass or something like that to get him in space! You'd probably get away with a FS or SS running Jet Sweep, Pitches, they have the speed. LB's, I'd use base on the speed and power. Derrick Henry 6-3 240ish, built like a stud LB! They'd be great for running off tackle, or between!

Imo, if you run a scripted playbook, the sub would dictate what play(s) would be called! you could sub according to the play called or call plays that the subs can be successful. So if LT is at FB, FB dive or simular would be called! Not running "Four Verticals" with LT lined up as WR! Although that would be fun to watch!

phalanx93
All-Pro

Postby phalanx93 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 pm

I say sub in, but what I do is use a third party playbook editor to pick who goes in the 10-backs and Wildcat formations.

The only position in the 10-backs that never gets the ball is the center position. Every other player has a shot at the ball at some point. Has me wondering about run blocking. If I go for speed or acceleration, then, depending on the year, I'm sacrificing blocking.

Note: I do use created players with buffed stats, do the editing after preseason each year.

Rookie = 99 on all stats
1 year pro = 88 on stats below that.
2 year pro = 77 on stats below that

Teams that make the playoffs get less buffs than teams that fail to make the playoffs. Teams with first round byes get almost nothing.

Example = team that doesn't make the playoffs, their skill positions on offense and defense are evaluated and buffed where applicable (I let the cpu draft and fill rosters)

Return to “Plays and playbooks”