Making punt returns more realistic?

JPK
Hall of Fame

Re: Making punt returns more realistic?

Postby JPK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:26 pm

I don't have any groundbreaking discovery, but I just wanted to share this with you guys. In my last game or two, I returned punts out of a custom formation that has 5 d-linemen, 4 linebackers and 2 safeties. With Devin Hester as one of the safeties, I manually pulled him all the way back to field the punts, and I averaged about 13 yards doing so, with one or two returns being very close to break out into the open field. It still requires a lot of luck, though.

In the normal punt return formation, I have returned only 2 punts for TDs ever, and they were mostly luck. I fielded the punts really close to the sideline and ran straight ahead at full speed before anyone could catch up on me. As for kickoff returns, I am not as skilled as some of you but I return some for TDs fairly regularly.

My only blocked field goals (or extra points) have been by computer-controlled defenders who got to the kicker before he kicked. No actual live ball. I am considering decreasing the speed of punters and kickers league-wide (including mine, of course).

I will keep you updated about my experimentations.

Sponsor

Sponsor

coventryjets
Pro Bowl

Postby coventryjets » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm

superben21 wrote:
NFLVICK7 wrote:
Danchat wrote:I really don't have a strategy, I just use the playbooks there are (which aren't very good).
In my 1000s of punt returns I've had 1 PR TD ever. I've never blocked a punt or a kick.
I guess I could try a new playbook for special teams.....

I've blocked a few FG's, The trick is to have a quick guy on the corner, and time the snap. It's hard but i've done it. I have never blocked a punt tho.

I play on All Madden and can block every field goal / extra point I want so I had to make a house rule against it :D
I can block punts pretty often as well but they're a lot harder.
I return a couple kicks a year at most in franchise but I've only gotten one punt return ever in all my time playing and it was called back because of a penalty! :roll: Punt returns are just way to hard to score on.

same its unbelievably easy. if i really need to win a game i occasionaly do this but its cheesin so i try not to. better than madden 12 or ncaa 12 where i my guy was in front of the ball and it just went through him...oh ea

huynguyenv
Veteran

Postby huynguyenv » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:35 am

The key to blocking punt is to have a fast MLB (there should be two MLBs in punt return formation), move him to the opposite of the fullback, time the punt and run straight to the punter. I always do this in opponent's redzone (ideally inside the 10) Mychal Kendricks had like 30 safeties a season. :D

grahgrahgrahgit
Rookie

Postby grahgrahgrahgit » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:11 am

BelieverInTeal wrote:
torontogrudlies wrote:I noted the post about changing the return formation with some defenders several yards back, but the only reason I didn't try that is that I make videos of my key plays. If I return one and want to put it on the highlight reel, it might not look realistic.

Yes it is a bit cheap but it's the only way I can think of that works. It wouldn't work in Madden to do what really happens in real life which is dropping back 7-8 guys once the ball is snapped and then blocking.

However, just like in real life, you have to look at each block as a time bomb. You can only hold off the incoming defender for so long before they break free. In order to get any sort of consistent, decent return in Madden, my philosophy is to set the guys back as far as I can so that the time on the bombs doesn't start until my returner has the ball.

How do you move them back?? in the DB editor? if so, how?

grahgrahgrahgit
Rookie

Postby grahgrahgrahgit » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:13 am

Administrator wrote:
torontogrudlies wrote:I'm trying something different on this. I've been creating custom playbooks for each of the teams in my league, which I'll then swap into the DAT file. In their punt formation, I've replaced the gunners with slower players such as linemen. They move slower so the returner has a little more space, and if he breaks or evades two or three tackles, he has a chance to break it.

I've returned a few in practice with this setup...even with offensive linemen on the coverage team, they still close in on my 99 SPD returner with amazing quickness.

how exactly do you go about swapping the gunners out for linemen?

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:46 pm

grahgrahgrahgit wrote:
Administrator wrote:
torontogrudlies wrote:I'm trying something different on this. I've been creating custom playbooks for each of the teams in my league, which I'll then swap into the DAT file. In their punt formation, I've replaced the gunners with slower players such as linemen. They move slower so the returner has a little more space, and if he breaks or evades two or three tackles, he has a chance to break it.

I've returned a few in practice with this setup...even with offensive linemen on the coverage team, they still close in on my 99 SPD returner with amazing quickness.

how exactly do you go about swapping the gunners out for linemen?

You can swap them out using the playbook editor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:52 pm

I came up with these...
Attachments
screen0208.bmp
Updated Punt Return Logic, Also will be included in the Madden 2020 Playbooks!
screen0208.bmp (5.93 MiB) Viewed 2227 times

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:46 pm

I found what may be an important issue with the punt block player logic. The default Madden Punt Block plays all have a 1.5 sec delay (after snap) before they rush and try to block the punt or FG. This may be why so few punts/kicks are blocked! Why A) did EA Sports program them that way and B) Why would a coach make player pause giving the kickers time to get the punts/kicks off? I'm testing new punt/kick block logic!

datmanmadden59x
Pro Bowl

Postby datmanmadden59x » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:11 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:I came up with these...

Can you post this defensive playbook for the punt returns? Does it work better than the default?

Return to “Plays and playbooks”