Converting Xbox TMdl

Technical discussion of development of third-party apps.
StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Re: Converting Xbox TMdl

Postby StingRay68 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Not sure if this is going to help, but...
I looked around earlier for the utils to edit the fsh files. One site that had it (fshed) said that it did not work with console versions. So there is that, if it is true. Also the util looked to be from at least 10 years ago, so whomever made it might not be working on it any longer.
I downloaded a fsh file from someone that had a disc directory online, sorry I dont remember where it was now, but the file structure is similar, there is still an index that lists all the files and what dimensions they are. I didn't see a palette, but the images are 8 bit from the file I saw anyway.

Sponsor

Sponsor

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:16 pm

StingRay68 wrote:Not sure if this is going to help, but...
I looked around earlier for the utils to edit the fsh files. One site that had it (fshed) said that it did not work with console versions. So there is that, if it is true. Also the util looked to be from at least 10 years ago, so whomever made it might not be working on it any longer.
I downloaded a fsh file from someone that had a disc directory online, sorry I dont remember where it was now, but the file structure is similar, there is still an index that lists all the files and what dimensions they are. I didn't see a palette, but the images are 8 bit from the file I saw anyway.

I have both MVP 05 and NHL 06, with fshs and tools. The tools are FSHx, BIGui and EA Graphics editor.
If you need any I can send....
So the Giants traded Beckham....

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:41 am

I came across a file in stadiums.dat that seems to have 11 bit graphics. It's an mmap but I can't seem to load the images. I checked between xbox and pc and this file exists in both versions.

Sting, could you take a look?
Attachments
00823-STADIUMS.dat.File00823.copy001
(43.8 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:27 am

Is that file being used by the pc version? I mean if it is in the pc dat is that id# being used by the pc database?
This looks to be one of the xbox files, the byte reads are based on 128 bytes and not 32 like the pc version.
These are still 8 bit, according to mmap first graphic is 32x64 and length is 2048. 32x64=2048 so that fits our normal 8bit graphics for madden.
The bitmaps dont have our usual structure and are going to look like a jumbled mess just like the other xbox files.

[edit] I doubt the depth is 11 bit. PC version 4 bit says 5 in the mmap, and 8 bit says 9. So even if we go with that, B would be 10 bit.
All these bitmaps are being used with a palette that is in the mmap. The size of the palettes go right along with our 8 bit palettes. even if it says B in the mmap, the palette is still 1024 bytes which is 256 colors that are 32bits each. Same thing we have on pc version.
I'm not sure how a 10 bit graphic would work, but Is it possible the palette/bitmaps are being compressed ? I suppose, but even if it is, the compression always leaves the byte count exactly the same as an 8 bit graphic. Extremely doubtful that happens on every file.

There is perhaps another option, that since this is xbox and a microsoft product, we are likely still using directx. If these images are one of the various dxt types ? I will try saving the original images with those formats and see if any of them are like what we are seeing in the xbox files.

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:47 pm

The pc version is stored in slot 787. Is there anything different about how the images are stored vs how your editor, MUER, or more xbox reads mmap's? I wasn't able to open it any of them.

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 pm

The comparison graphic you showed in an earlier post shows what a pc version looks like and what the same image for xbox looks like in our editors.
The formats in the dats are the same, there is a palette, which for pc 8bit has 256 colors, and the bitmap which is indexed to the palette.
The xbox format says a different number for bits per pixel, but has the same format as the pc version, its just the the bitmap appears to be scrambled in some unknown manner.
The reader I gave to you probably isn't quite right for all xbox files, it doesn't matter, unless someone has ideas about the bitmaps. I tried saving as the various dxt options for dds and I didn't get results like what is in the dat file.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:58 pm

Would inserting the pc palette into the xbox palette yield the same scrambled image in xbox?

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:28 pm

I guess what I'm asking is, since the xbox and pc versions of this file are the same, is there any way of knowing what the bitmap(s) look like? Or will they both be jumbled?

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:16 am

Would inserting the pc palette into the xbox palette yield the same scrambled image in xbox?

Yes, because it is the xbox bitmap that is scrambled. The palette doesn't matter. I hope that makes sense. I might not be describing what is going on in the graphics right to you guys, because I am looking at it in terms of data from a programmers perspective.
If I have a graphic bitmap, that I am making a single white stripe down the middle of the graphic and everything else is a background color.
I have color0 as black for background and color1 as white for the stripe. I can change the colors, but it wont matter, unless I change both color0 and color1 to the same color, there is always going to be a visible stripe in the image. I couldn't make this image a circle by changing the palette, as the bitmap doesn't contain that shape. Think of the xbox bitmap as being a circle shape. Somehow when it is stored, the pixels are being moved around in an unknown way so that even though when the image is displayed in game it is a stripe, but in xbox being stored in the bitmap as a circle.

I guess what I'm asking is, since the xbox and pc versions of this file are the same, is there any way of knowing what the bitmap(s) look like? Or will they both be jumbled?

This is concerning the file you recently posted ? That file has the xbox bitmaps, the one you said showed "11bit". Those are scrambled/jumbled. Unless you find the pc version of that file that has our familiar 4/8 bit count, no we cannot know for sure what the images look like.

Let me add that just because you find a file in the pc dats, it doesn't mean the file is for pc or even that it is being used. There are several models in the pc dats that are clearly marked xbox or ps2. Just as there are unused fields in the databases from previous versions.

[edit] - If you want to try and see if there is a pc version of that file, try looking for a file that is something around 41000-42000 bytes in size (decompressed)

StingRay68
Hall of Fame

Postby StingRay68 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:20 am

Yesterday I did find info in various console forums about "swizzle/unswizzle" for xbox graphics. However, most of the posts were very old and contained broken links and pictures. From what I gathered it involves breaking down the graphic into smaller equal squares and re-encoding them into a new bitmap. That seems very possible from the looks of the graphics we have seen so far.
Someone did post some type of code, but either much of the function wasn't included or it just did not seem like it would work correctly for madden files.

Return to “Development”