Buffalo Sucks - a Madden Franchise with only street free agents

Journals for customized Madden franchises.
Theov
MVP

Re: Buffalo Sucks - a Madden Franchise with only street free agents

Postby Theov » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:40 am

We won our first game and got our asses kicked in Miami, we will soon play the Patriots, but first we take a look at what the fans and board of 'advisers' have to say.
I overlooked at this part of franchise mode because, frankly, I don't give a damn. But with a team this bad, there could be some entertainment in there.

a river of tears

Fan support: they'd rather stay in the parking lot and tail gate for another 3 hours. Who could blame them.

Board of advisers:
"we don't have the strongest LB corps in the league"
That's true; it's more like a LB corpse. Well, that's the whole IDEA of this exercise, so that's ok.
But we will make something out of this, I promise. We are NOT the Titanic. We will fix this ship, set sail to our destiny and we will find our city of gold, our El Dorado!

"Let's face it: our attendance is terrible, it desperately needs to be improved"
I'm doing everything I can.

"Our fan support has been eroding slowly in recent weeks"
So has your wife, pal.
Let's play some football, these guys bore me to tears.
No signature needed.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:30 am

It is strangely mesmerizing to follow a dreadful team that is trying to improve. Though I do wish you'd rethink trading away your best draft picks.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:44 am

RevanFan wrote:It is strangely mesmerizing to follow a dreadful team that is trying to improve. Though I do wish you'd rethink trading away your best draft picks.

Ideas are welcome.

Which brings us to week 11 of our Puffalo Bills franchise. The end of the season is getting near and the 3-7 Patriots with Rex Grossman, Steven Jackson, Marvin Harrison, Jeremy Shockey and Brian Dawkins came to town.

These guys obviously came to play and played hard in a monsoon of a rainstorm. Rain sucks, it think it makes players sloppy... or sloppier.

They had a great game plan ready against us. Their plan was to either pass or run on first, second and third down. It worked great because both their passing game and running game ran like a well oiled machine.

Dude, we've played 5 seconds and you're celebrating a first down like you've just won the Super Bowl.

Nice coverage, guys. BTW, he dropped it.

Our Head Coach did not have our guys ready for this game, so our guys played like crap.

Honestly, if I could replace the head coach today with this guy, I would.

not our head coach, allegedly

Our strong safety Ade Jimoh was injured, so our backup Derek Pagel came in. Who? Yeah, I had no idea either.
He's now actually a Sales Representative at CONMED Corporation in Des Moines, Iowa. No really. Good for you, Derek.
He wrote a book, published in 2014 titled "Growing Up Hawkeye" about Iowa Football's 1999-2002 rise to Big Ten champion.

pictured: NFL starting safety

Ah the game.
Yeah, the game.

What, you never saw a team have 4 points late in the 3rd?

I usually call a lot of counter run plays, because it gives great timing with the o-line, so a pulling blocker can get outside and get me an extra blocker down field. Not today. New England's 3-4 defense sealed everything off back to the inside, and there my tackles just couldn't hold a block so by the time Rod Smart or Dee Brown were at the LOS, the edge defender would be off the block ready for the tackle. It drove me nuts.
After realizing that, and after seeing yet another incomplete pass I switched to body bag football.
It is what you think it is and looks like this:

7 linemen, 2 tight ends, a hb and a qb: stretches and sweeps

We ran it down their throat for a while and it worked!
This is definitely going to stay in the game plan if McCoy or St. Pierre shit the bed.

Dee Brown just did it all today. Receiving, running. It was great. But far far far too late.
I love this guy.

We scored 2 times in the 4th quarter, but in the end it was still an L: 52-20.

Next time is week 12!
Julius Peppers.
Fun times.
No signature needed.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Is there any way you could post the full box scores for each game? I'd love to see the full stats for each player.

From the look of the scores, it seems like your offense isn't completely terrible, but your defense is trash. So far, what do you see as your biggest weakness? The one you NEED to fill ASAP?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:59 am

He is giving points away by not kicking FGs and PATs. Instead he goes 3 and out in Premium FG situations and attempts 2pt conversions..

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:46 pm

RevanFan wrote:Is there any way you could post the full box scores for each game? I'd love to see the full stats for each player.

From the look of the scores, it seems like your offense isn't completely terrible, but your defense is trash. So far, what do you see as your biggest weakness? The one you NEED to fill ASAP?

In the starting post I have added the starting lineups.
I think your'e right that there is something to work with on offense. The oline is horrible though. But maybe offense is easier to manipulate as a player than defense by playcalling.

I've compared this franchise with another franchise (where I have 'good' players) and all things compared, the defensive line is horribly under performing. They are just getting blown out of the water.

The worst is probably Jason Hunter, who not only has no stats, but also no production. He will be replaced next game and I'm giving backup LOLB Ricky Brown a chance. He has only 69 STR but has 75 SPD.
Another option is to go for Jay Moore who has 80 STR but only 66 SPD.

Some other candidates (Hunter is the starter):

bluegriffon wrote:He is giving points away by not kicking FGs and PATs. Instead he goes 3 and out in Premium FG situations and attempts 2pt conversions..

that is far from the biggest reason we are losing

First things first about not punting or kicking: it's a mentality. It's not a one time thing, it's not a maybe thing. It's in our team's DNA; we practice, think and execute 4 down football.
We don't even consider punting a possibility. So we run third down, as if it was second. We want to score TD's not field goals. I don't want 3 points if I can get 6. I don't want 1 point if I can get 2.

In the spoiler is some number crunching.
Spoiler:
So I looked at the team's stats, to see what my play style is doing.
The easiest number is my 2 point conversion rate and you are right. I am losing points there because the blocking is really bad: I had 25 TDs and scored 2 point conversions 9 times for 18 point (or 36%). 25-18=7 points lost. Over 11 games. I'm not losing sleep over this % and this % will only go up.

Then the field goals. I wouldn't know how many field goals I would have made had I not gone for it on 4th down, but... I scored touchdowns (6 or 8 points) in 73% of my red zone trips. Had I kicked a field goal somewhere, I would have traded a 73% chance at 6 points (4.38pt) for a chance to score 3 points. Let's say I make every kick, I'm still losing 1.38 point per kick.

I don't know how many situations happened where I went for it on 4th down from the 20 yard line to 35 yard line (FG range), but I do know that over 11 games my 4th down conversion rate is 41%. This seems low, but consider this: every time I give the opposing offense the ball, they score a TD 53% of the time and a field goal 31% of the time and only punt 15% of the time (this ignores end of half possessions and turnovers).
This, of course could be because I give them short fields, but the TD to FG ratio indicates this defense wouldn't be able to stop an angry mob of toddlers.

What I'm saying with all this boring number crunching: I'm trading a 41% chance to keep the ball for an opportunity of 84% to be scored against.
No signature needed.

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Points are points. I would rather take the sure bet of the PAT over the 2pt conversion and if i am 30 to 35 yards from the end zone and facing 4th down >5 i would take the 3pts instead of going for 6 and the possibility of dropped passes or even a pick..Percentages don't factor.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Welcome back to the Buffalose Bills.
This week we flew back to not-so-sunny Florida, to the lovely city of Jacksonville.
Get this: we flew to Miami, flew back for a game against New England at home and then flew all the way back to Florida again to play the Jaguars. This was the real schedule of the Bills in 2007.

I've been there a few times and I enjoyed it. But this time it's all about business. They have JP Losman, Thomas Jones and Andre Johnson on offense. One man army Julius Peppers on defense.

The plan was to run to our left a lot, away from Peppers.

Ricky Brown, our backup LOLB got the nod to play Left End this game.
After 3 snaps, the kid had 2 sacks already for a 3-and-out.

I couldn't get much going on the next drive though, and Jacksonville drew first blood on their next drive.

On our next drive, I just ran Rod Smart and Dee Brown a lot behind our 7-men Oline.
We even had a rare Mike Hogan sighting!

a yeti comes out of the woods more than this guy

We passed when everyone was tired but somehow got a delay of game penalty on 4th and goal from the 2.
McCoy beat the coverage on 4th and 7 though, so the touchdown was ours.
Our answering drive looked like this:

runs and dink and dunk

After that, there was a lot of great running by Jacksonville's Half Back Thomas Jones.
The guy had 147 yards on only 15 carries, but here's the kicker: he had 9 broken tackles and 114 yards after first touch. That's nuts!

look at these 2 touchdown runs, our defenders just bounced off of this guy

Our defense couldn't stop them all game and we couldn't get anything going after that first drive. They played a lot of zone and covered everything short. St Pierre just doesn't have the arm to throw anything deep.
We returned a few extra points, but that was about it for this game. After that first punt, they scored on every possession. No chance. 53-12.

MVP would be Dee Brown again, but that's more because the rest couldn't get anything going at all.

But the season isn't over yet!
I want to win at least another game and we still have 5 games to do that!!
I will be taking another close look at the starting lineups.

Next up we will travel to the Capital to play the Redskins for our Week 13 matchup.

On offense they have Big Ben Roethlisbergr (sic) and Willis McGahee at HB. At receiver they have Bernard Berrian and his amazing speed and Vikings first round bust, but video game hero Troy Williamson.
On defense they have Antonio Pierce at MLB, amazing speed at corner and Ken Hamlin and Chris Hope as hard hitting safeties. We'll bring an extra supply of Toradol shots... and tape.
They have a roster without a Left Tackle or a Left Guard. Their starting Center is hurt.
This is going to be a good one.
Fun times.
No signature needed.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:58 am

Hello all,
thanks for reading about the Oh so bad Buffalo Bills.

The Week13 matchup versus the Redskins is taking a bit longer than expected.

After the Redskins game, we will only have 4 games left. We can still go 6-10, but I don't think that will be enough to make the playoffs.

After the Redskins game we will look at the State of the League and we will look forward to the draft. We will have to plan our draft picks and think about staying put or trading down.
No signature needed.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:35 pm

Alright! Welcome back to the 2007 Buffalo Bills. The NFL reshuffled all its players, but they forgot to include the Bills. So the Bills were assigned a bunch of street free agents.

We play the NFC East this season, we will close the season versus the Giants and Eagles, but for our week 13 matchup we went to DC for the game against the Redskins.
In the passing game they have speedster Berrian, McCaffrey and draft bust Troy Williamson.
We seem to struggle the most against talented Half Backs and Willis McGahee is a pretty good back.
You might remember him as the University of Miami running back that got his knee destroyed on a tackle in the Fiesta Bowl versus Ohio.
But he showed great character, fought back and had a very good 10 year NFL career after that.
Today we play him as he was picked up in the fantasy draft by the Redskins. The plan was to clog the middle by positioning all 3 or 4 linemen inside and let the linebackers and safeties clean up all runs that bounce outside.

On offense we started a new Center. Richard Collier is stronger and has better run blocking than Dan Connolly, but he has even less awareness and is far less agile. I figured that doesn't really matter if we're going to run more and... well, he's a center.

On defense our best corner is Alfonso Marshall. Opposite of him, I've been playing Kalvin Pearson, with Anthony Madison playing slot. For this game, I mixed this up, because Williamson is just a speed guy. So I matched Madison up with him, making Pearson a starter.

gruesome

We won the toss and elected to kick as usual.
The defense woke up today and forced a quick 3-and-out.

I decided not to wait and start the game right off with body bag football. That means 7 linemen, 2 tight ends, a hand off monkey and a running back.

body bag football: coming to a town near you

After Rod Smart was tired after 4 runs, Dee Brown came in; and on his first play he broke a tackle like... do you know that situation in the WWE when a wrestler is surrounded by 10 guys and then he cartoonishly throws them all off in one swoop?
That was how Brown scored and broke a 71 yard TD run. It was honestly one of the most hilariously broken tackles I've ever seen.

if ya smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell them how you really feel, Bruce.

The Redskins are a talented bunch, they have an excellent O-line and a complete group of skill players - so they quite easily scored, but only kicked an xp, instead of my 2, so 7-8.
The way though was very eh... Bills-like.
Berrian ran out for half a step and then his streak route. This next-level Pro move made Alfonso Marshall's head spin so much that mid-play he decided to go to the bathroom to puke.

when you got to go, you got to go

We had to keep controlling the clock, mix 5 WR sets with our style of straight runs football; that's the only way if we want another win.
So I ran, passed short and ran some more. It's the only way, because playing with St.Pierre at QB is maddening.

Another 8 points later and it was 7-16

pretty good

However, they scored on a 9 play 75 yard drive; making the score 14-16 at half time.
We were in it again at half time.

Now, before we go into the second half, here's a play that I absolutely love. It's the shotgun 5 WR set WR option play.
I audible the option WR to a slant, the trips receiver runs an out for as deep as you need it to be. If it's zone, 8/10 the defender will move outside leaving a void for the slot receiver to run into. If that's not there, your trips receiver can outrun the defender. If that's covered, then a corner or even post route can be found, or even an underneath receiver. If all fails and it's cover 2-man across the board, you can run with your QB if he has any wheels at all. (St.Pierre doesn't).

#15 DeDe Dorsey is wide open

On one play though, I didn't read the MLB (Pierce) well and threw a horribly inaccurate pass that was picked. After that we just couldn't get many drives going, and the Redskins scored with some strong McGahee running. One of which was a 40 yard blast of a run.

After another pick, this game was pretty much done for.
St.Pierre is just such a horrible INT-machine, that I either play it even more safe, or abandon the passing game at all...

the answer is not D

Unfortunately the score was 40-16. Next week we will play 2 first halves; maybe that will help.

MVP of the game will have to be LeRon McCoy.

We only have 4 games left in the season, so before next game we will quickly look at the State of the League and we will look forward to the 2008 Draft before the Dolphins visit us for our week 14 game.
They have Willie Parker. Mentioning Willie Parker in the building is like mentioning the Boogieman.
That guy will have to be contained.
Fun times.
No signature needed.

Return to “Madden Journals”