Madden 2005 basic questions

Gridironmate
Rookie

Postby Gridironmate » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Since I had no reply on my introduction post a few days back, I figure it might be a good idea to ask some questions I have.
Maybe some of you have the inside knowledge to help me out or know where I can find the desired information.

1.) Can be Madden 05 be successfully modded (crash free and stable) and enhanced or is it just the 2008 version?
2.) Where can the outfits (Helmets, midfield, endzones, Sliver, Unis and logos) of all original NFL teams and the European Teams in the game be found in the games folders and can they be used and tinkered with?
3.) In Madden 2004 one could create own teams, players and artworks and play the franchise modus by simply substituting the NFL teams for the newly created ones. In the 2005 version I can't do this in franchise mode. I can only reallign the existing NFL teams but not sub them for created (and saved) custom teams. Why is that and how can I do it?
4.) Is there a way to alter the league structure and tournament settings like number of teams, playoff modus and things like that?
5.) What are sliders?
6.) Is it correct that the helmet data measurements are different in 2004 and 2005 because all my custom created helmets from 2004 dont show up in the creation menue while the endzones and midfield logos do?

I hope this is not too much of an issue for the veterans to explain to a newbie.... :o

Thanx in advance

Gridironmate

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Madden 2005 basic questions

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:25 am

Gridironmate wrote:Since I had no reply on my introduction post a few days back, I figure it might be a good idea to ask some questions I have.
Maybe some of you have the inside knowledge to help me out or know where I can find the desired information.

1.) Can be Madden 05 be successfully modded (crash free and stable) and enhanced or is it just the 2008 version?
2.) Where can the outfits (Helmets, midfield, endzones, Sliver, Unis and logos) of all original NFL teams and the European Teams in the game be found in the games folders and can they be used and tinkered with?
3.) In Madden 2004 one could create own teams, players and artworks and play the franchise modus by simply substituting the NFL teams for the newly created ones. In the 2005 version I can't do this in franchise mode. I can only reallign the existing NFL teams but not sub them for created (and saved) custom teams. Why is that and how can I do it?
4.) Is there a way to alter the league structure and tournament settings like number of teams, playoff modus and things like that?
5.) What are sliders?
6.) Is it correct that the helmet data measurements are different in 2004 and 2005 because all my custom created helmets from 2004 dont show up in the creation menue while the endzones and midfield logos do?

I hope this is not too much of an issue for the veterans to explain to a newbie.... :o

Thanx in advance

Gridironmate

1. Possibly (in fact probably), but no one has done it.
2. They are in .dat files such as UNIFORMS.dat, UIS_LIB_TEAM_LOGOS.dat, UIS_LIB_LOGO_SLIVERS.dat, and FIELDART.dat. Extract the files find the DAT File Replacer.
3. EA removed the feature. I believe a program called Mad Wolf can help you with that, but I don't know if it works with 2005.
4. No. Attempting to do so will break the game.
5. Difficulty settings. Slider adjustments control how well your players do at certain jobs, as well as the AI players. Go into the settings and experiment with them until you find a mix that you like.
6. I can't really answer that. Sorry.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am

My stance on 1) - If the X Mod can work with 07, there's no reason 2005 can't be modded.

It been a very long time, but I seem to recall that all of the mods to run my franchise for my 08 franchise worked on 2005. (depth chart requirements, salary cap, things in the .dat files RevanFan mentioned..) This took some trial and error though.

I would say pack your patience. From my experience the older versions seemed alot more sensitive, especially regarding roster size.

4) Yes, you can switch teams divisions and conferences, but it is just an IN-season fix. You can move teams around, but you MUST put them back at the end of the season. Rixster has a thread on this topic. Playoffs?.. I think we're stuck with what we have. I'm sure you can just dump teams on the schedule. But I believe 6 Playoff teams are hardcoded into the program itself, so that would cause a crash. I can't say I've heard of anyone trying this in my time here.

Gridironmate
Rookie

Postby Gridironmate » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:53 pm

RevanFan wrote:1. Possibly (in fact probably), but no one has done it.
2. They are in .dat files such as UNIFORMS.dat, UIS_LIB_TEAM_LOGOS.dat, UIS_LIB_LOGO_SLIVERS.dat, and FIELDART.dat. Extract the files find the DAT File Replacer.
3. EA removed the feature. I believe a program called Mad Wolf can help you with that, but I don't know if it works with 2005.
5. Difficulty settings. Slider adjustments control how well your players do at certain jobs, as well as the AI players. Go into the settings and experiment with them until you find a mix that you like.

Thanx big time for the reply, RevanFan!

Ok, since nobody has done this who was into modding, I wont start it with not even the slightest clue of any modding. :D
Okay found them in the Data0 folder...
But how do I extract them?
And then what?
How can I use them for a created team?
Is there tutorial somewhere?

It removed the feature ??? :twisted:
After one editon?
That basically means, the only version I can play (at least if i want to have an all custom league with self designed teams) is Madden 2004?
Great. But how, since I cant run it under WIN 7!?! :roll: :x
Is there any chance for it in Madden 2008 after modding? I dont wanna buy the game and start tinkering around when in the end I still can't get what I desire.... :evil:
Too bad. I think altering the League structure and tournament settings as well as the playoff modus should be self-evident for an decent sports/Football game but well we are talking about crappy old Madden here.... :cry:
Oh, those are sliders? THAT darn AI sttings in the games settings section?
Well I can't stand it a bit since I have the feeling the so called sliders do little if anything at all if you try to experiment with them.
I'm not sure if my teams are too good or too bad when all of a sudden I beat the AI way too easily or get beaten by the AI way too easily.
Especially the interceptions don't come at all or you get or throw 6 of em....and neither extreme is realistic.
A mix that I like?
I dont think I will ever find a mix I like.... :shock:

So finally:
Can I create 32 custom teams and play with them in franchise mode like I did in Madden 2004 with Madden 2008 (with or without modding) ?
What basic enhancements/improvements in comparison to the original game can be achieved in general?
Some great stuff, you guys enjoy and you can recommend to somebody who has never ever played a down of modded Madden football???
And if not, is there any chance to run Madden 2004 under WIN 7 or do I have to buy an old PC and use XP again just for the fun of this game feature?

Greetings from Gridironmate

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 am

Gridironmate wrote:
RevanFan wrote:1. Possibly (in fact probably), but no one has done it.

Thanx big time for the reply, RevanFan!

Ok, since nobody has done this who was into modding, I wont start it with not even the slightest clue of any modding. :D
Okay found them in the Data0 folder...
But how do I extract them?
And then what?
How can I use them for a created team?
Is there tutorial somewhere?

It removed the feature ??? :twisted:
After one editon?
That basically means, the only version I can play (at least if i want to have an all custom league with self designed teams) is Madden 2004?
Great. But how, since I cant run it under WIN 7!?! :roll: :x
Is there any chance for it in Madden 2008 after modding? I dont wanna buy the game and start tinkering around when in the end I still can't get what I desire.... :evil:
Too bad. I think altering the League structure and tournament settings as well as the playoff modus should be self-evident for an decent sports/Football game but well we are talking about crappy old Madden here.... :cry:
Oh, those are sliders? THAT darn AI sttings in the games settings section?
Well I can't stand it a bit since I have the feeling the so called sliders do little if anything at all if you try to experiment with them.
I'm not sure if my teams are too good or too bad when all of a sudden I beat the AI way too easily or get beaten by the AI way too easily.
Especially the interceptions don't come at all or you get or throw 6 of em....and neither extreme is realistic.
A mix that I like?
I dont think I will ever find a mix I like.... :shock:

So finally:
Can I create 32 custom teams and play with them in franchise mode like I did in Madden 2004 with Madden 2008 (with or without modding) ?
What basic enhancements/improvements in comparison to the original game can be achieved in general?
Some great stuff, you guys enjoy and you can recommend to somebody who has never ever played a down of modded Madden football???
And if not, is there any chance to run Madden 2004 under WIN 7 or do I have to buy an old PC and use XP again just for the fun of this game feature?

Greetings from Gridironmate

Like I said, you can extract things from the .dat files using the DAT File Replacer. However, I'm not the one to ask about how to modify graphics files. I know more about rosters and data files. For that, I'd recommend starting out easy. Open up DB_TEMPLATES.dat in the DAT File Replacer, and extract File #6. Once it's extracted, open the extracted file in the DB Editor. If you do, you'll see that the file you extracted, File #6, is actually the game's default roster. You can open up the various tables and see what they contain, as well as search this site for help learning what each value does. I'd suggest starting with the TEAM, TUNI, and PLAY tables. PLAY has the actual player list, TUNI has the uniform listings for all of the teams in the roster, and TEAM has... well... the teams.

For created teams... I don't know how to help you. Haven't done anything with them in years. I know the best way to create them is creating them in-game, and then I believe you use Mad Wolf to replace a default team with the created team. Otherwise, I'm clueless. And for tutorials, I really don't know. Just search the site and see I guess.

2004 is the only version you can play if you want to use created teams easily. Like I said, with 08, it is possible using external modding utilities, but I don't know exactly how. So to answer your question, yes you could do it in 08, with some work put in.

For realistic games, I usually play on All-Pro difficulty, and adjust the individual sliders one at a time with intermittent testing until I'm satisfied. There are tons of slider sets on this forum that you can test though.

To answer the conclusion:

1. Yes, with mods.
2. A TON of improvements, especially graphically, and the inclusion of a practice squad/reserve team that lets you actually have a working injured reserve AND 90-man rosters in the preseason (with some tweaking.)
3. I'd suggest checking out the Starting Guide for New Players if you decide to get 08. There is nothing on created teams in it, but it will definitely get you started on modding and seeing what is available.

Honestly... if you've never modded ANY Madden before... you should get 08 if it's affordable, and fully mod it up before you even run it, and just... see what it's like. You won't believe it. Or, if you want, you could play 08 for a bit unmodded, and then mod it so you can really see the difference in just that one game. But the jump from unmodded 2005 to modded 08 is <Bernie Sanders voice>YUUUUGE</>.

Other than that, all I can say is good luck, and feel free to ask around if you have questions.
My Cowboys Journal

Gridironmate
Rookie

Postby Gridironmate » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:09 am

RevanFan wrote:
1. Yes, with mods.
2. A TON of improvements, especially graphically, and the inclusion of a practice squad/reserve team that lets you actually have a working injured reserve AND 90-man rosters in the preseason (with some tweaking.)
3. I'd suggest checking out the Starting Guide for New Players if you decide to get 08. There is nothing on created teams in it, but it will definitely get you started on modding and seeing what is available.

Honestly... if you've never modded ANY Madden before... you should get 08 if it's affordable, and fully mod it up before you even run it, and just... see what it's like. You won't believe it. Or, if you want, you could play 08 for a bit unmodded, and then mod it so you can really see the difference in just that one game. But the jump from unmodded 2005 to modded 08 is <Bernie Sanders voice>YUUUUGE</>.

Other than that, all I can say is good luck, and feel free to ask around if you have questions.

I have to state: I'm tempted.
To at least give it a serious try.
You sound so exiting and enthusiastic about all that can be done to get a great game modded out of a poor EA product.

But after checking for a new Madden 2008 PC game online (wouldn't buy used games, you never know in what conditon the CDs are in,
I have a ton of old games with scratched and therefore unusable CDs myself)
I just got shocked by the price tag.
69,95 Euro for a game that is over 10 years old???? :shock: :o :o :shock:

Seriously? :?

Right now, I'm not yet ready to invest that amount of money in such an old game.
Maybe trying to somehow get that 2004 copy of mine running on my machine looks like the better fit,
since I have all the custom outfits and teams ready and handy as well....

But couldn't find useful help here nor on youtube how to get this done!!
I'm stuck! ARGHHHHH :evil:

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:59 am

Gridironmate wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
1. Yes, with mods.

You sound so exiting and enthusiastic about all that can be done to get a great game modded out of a poor EA product.

But after checking for a new Madden 2008 PC game online (wouldn't buy used games, you never know in what conditon the CDs are in,

Right now, I'm not yet ready to invest that amount of money in such an old game.
Maybe trying to somehow get that 2004 copy of mine running on my machine looks like the better fit,

Don't know where you live but I would suggest using Amazon Digital download games. It's only about $10 for a digital download of Madden 2008 for PC instead of paying for the physical disc which can be quite a bit more....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:16 am

ultimatum77 wrote:
Gridironmate wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
1. Yes, with mods.

Don't know where you live but I would suggest using Amazon Digital download games. It's only about $10 for a digital download of Madden 2008 for PC instead of paying for the physical disc which can be quite a bit more....

It hasn't been possible to buy Madden 08 digitally for some time. There was a big to do about it on this very forum when they removed it from Amazon. A very quick search shows the game is not available for download on Amazon, as has been the case for several years now.
My Cowboys Journal

Gridironmate
Rookie

Postby Gridironmate » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:00 am

ultimatum77 wrote:

Like I wrote in the introduction.
I live in Germany and yep, theres no download availabe.
Nothing wrong with the good ole hardcopy in my mind, especially if you prefer discs.
Right now I'm trying to activate Madden 2004 but with no success so far to get it running on my machine.
First I know this version and have all the custom artwork already in store and as long as I remember the gameplay wasn't to shabby either.

But as of right now: NO LUCK AT ALL.

I'm undecided what path to follow.....

albedarnit
All-Pro

Postby albedarnit » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Madden 05 is definitely moddable, if that's even a word. I've been messing around a little bit with stadiums. These are screenshots of my Boston Harbor Stadium that I made for my USFL Rebuilt mod in Madden 05! Not bad...
Attachments
2019.12.15-16.56_02.jpg
2019.12.15-16.56_02.jpg (322.97 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
2019.12.15-16.56.jpg
2019.12.15-16.56.jpg (327.64 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
"Every coach has his own style of play, but when you spend your whole life as a Cowboy, you have to be influenced by what we did." - Tom Landry

Return to “Madden 2005 PC”