Adrian Peterson benched for punishing his son.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Adrian Peterson benched for punishing his son.

Postby Danchat » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:32 pm

OK, let's try to calm down a little bit here. I respect Gridiron's argument - I don't like that the government has as much control as it does over these kind of issues.

However, if you leave scars on your kid and injure their genitalia, that's abuse to me. I agree with Revanfan - abuse to children is wrong and is unchristian.

Do you respect Ray Rice's disciplinary methods, since the bible has some BS about men having dominion over their women?

This is new to me. Where is this "BS" found in the Bible?

There's also been an update in the situation - it appears that Peterson will play next week. You can read the story in the link below.
If you're upset that Peterson is playing and not being suspended by the NFL, consider the Greg Hardy situation. He was convicted of attacking/abusing his girlfriend. He is currently appealing a 60 day sentence in jail, but the NFL hasn't suspended him. Hardy played week one and then the Panthers, likely because of the Ray Rice situation, deactivated him for yesterday's game.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Adrian_Peterson_will_practice_this_week_and_is_expected_to_play_Sunday091514
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:40 pm

Danchat wrote:There's also been an update in the situation - it appears that Peterson will play next week. You can read the story in the link below.
If you're upset that Peterson is playing and not being suspended by the NFL, consider the Greg Hardy situation. He was convicted of attacking/abusing his girlfriend. He is currently appealing a 60 day sentence in jail, but the NFL hasn't suspended him. Hardy played week one and then the Panthers, likely because of the Ray Rice situation, deactivated him for yesterday's game.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Adrian_Peterson_will_practice_this_week_and_is_expected_to_play_Sunday091514

Yay for Mr. Peterson. :D
(No, I don't have him on any fantasy team.)

Thanks for the excellent news Danchat.
Perhaps this country still has enough integrity remaining to avoid the toilet of fascism we seem to be slip sliding into.

I didn't know about Hardy.
The NFL looks more and more hypocritical as time goes on.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Sidelion
MVP

Postby Sidelion » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Gridiron wrote:I will respond to the only remotely on topic part of your diatribe.

Sleeper66 wrote:{snip}
Do you respect Ray Rice's disciplinary methods {disrespectful statement removed}?
{snip}

Like you, I wasn't there and do not know the whole story.
I don't even have any interest in looking at the video of the incident.
I did hear somewhere that she had spit on him before the knockout.
A lover's spat! ;)
Seems like they may deserve each other, and might be a good intellectual match.

Janay Rice stands by her man during “horrible nightmare”
Janay Palmer, Ray Rice’s Wife, Implied the Assault Was Taken Out of Context

To answer your question directly and fully, I don't know.
But if she is not wanting to prosecute Ray, why is the corporate government so eager?
The establishment psychologists will say Janay suffers from "Stockholm Syndrome", I say it's love.

It has become increasingly clear to me that corporate government is at war against citizens.
Sadly far too many of you are comfortable as collaborators and enablers... until they come after you.
I've decided to label the condition as "Capitol City Syndrome".

What you're doing is reducing people's arguments by labeling them as fallacies (when that in itself is a fallacy) and then replying with unsubstantiated opinion after unsupported opinion. That's intellectual dishonesty, and you know it. At least have the common courtesy to acknowledge your opponent and not water down what he said to DISRESPECTFUL STATEMENT and DIATRIBE (cherrypicking), because otherwise, you're coming off as a real d00she and a poor debater.

https://www.rainn.org/get-information/e ... n-syndrome - Her "love" resembles all the classic symptoms of BWS. Odd.

The "corporate government". The "big bad government", here to take our guns away, force everyone to drive a Prius, and brainwash the youth into voting Democratic. How are you above me or the other posters in this forum? Because you maintain a "maverick mindset", because you believe that American republican governance is the worst thing on planet Earth? A "war against citizens" - see, I find that highly disingenuous to those who survived the Argentine Dirty War and the Cambodian massacres, for example.
"Why do you go away? So that you can come back.
So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors.
And the people there see you differently, too."

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm

OFF TOPIC:
Sidelion wrote:What you're doing is reducing people's arguments by labeling them as fallacies (when that in itself is a fallacy) and then replying with unsubstantiated opinion after unsupported opinion. That's intellectual dishonesty, and you know it. At least have the common courtesy to acknowledge your opponent and not water down what he said to DISRESPECTFUL STATEMENT and DIATRIBE (cherrypicking), because otherwise, you're coming off as a real d00she and a poor debater.

https://www.rainn.org/get-information/e ... n-syndrome - Her "love" resembles all the classic symptoms of BWS. Odd.

The "corporate government". The "big bad government", here to take our guns away, force everyone to drive a Prius, and brainwash the youth into voting Democratic. How are you above me or the other posters in this forum? Because you maintain a "maverick mindset", because you believe that American republican governance is the worst thing on planet Earth? A "war against citizens" - see, I find that highly disingenuous to those who survived the Argentine Dirty War and the Cambodian massacres, for example.

First study Sidelion's analysis above and compare it to my post that he is complaining about.

Next compare and contrast the following...

Then:
Father Knows Best, which aired on television from 1954 to 1960, came to be seen as the epitome of the family situation comedy in the 1950s. Situated in the typical American suburban neighborhood of Springfield, it features a middle class family consisting of a stay-at-home mom, small business owner dad, and three children. The show combines melodrama and comedy to provide both entertainment and instruction in the family values of the time.

Now:
The Simpsons, one of the longest-running TV shows in television history, is
the satiric adventures of a working-class family in the misfit city of Springfield.

Whether we want to admit it or not, TV educates children as much or more than school.
I see the results every day.
The trend is not our friend.

So sorry, but I won't lower myself to do the personal attack thing.
Now let's get back on the topic of Adrian Peterson's benching and aftermath.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Guys, guys...
I think you're all missing the point here...
AP is wrecking my fantasy team!!!1! :cry: :cry: :cry:

OK no...

I just think all that chat about "the goverment" and then "jesus" is kinda off of the main topic.
A grown up man spanked a kid for who knows what reason.
My father used to warn me when i was kid with the classic "belt" discipline and to be honest, I don't think there was a need for that. I think there are really better ways to make a child understand if he did something wrong that doesn't have to involve violence.
You can't talk a dog about what he did and expect him to understand. You can't simply go like "hey Rex, listen, what you did was unacceptable and you have to understand it ok?" You may hit a dog cause there's really not too many ways around it but a kid's no dog or animal, a kid's not stupid if you talk him clearly he'll understand what he did was wrong and there will be no need to use violence.
Yep, you guessed right, im against spanking and i think Adrian Peterson failed here if you're gonna treat your kid like a dog who can't control himself then you need to evaluate your competence as a parent.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Loxley wrote:Guys, guys...
I think you're all missing the point here...
AP is wrecking my fantasy team!!!1! :cry: :cry: :cry:

OK no...

I just think all that chat about "the goverment" and then "jesus" is kinda off of the main topic.
A grown up man spanked a kid for who knows what reason.
My father used to warn me when i was kid with the classic "belt" discipline and to be honest, I don't think there was a need for that. I think there are really better ways to make a child understand if he did something wrong that doesn't have to involve violence.
You can't talk a dog about what he did and expect him to understand. You can't simply go like "hey Rex, listen, what you did was unacceptable and you have to understand it ok?" You may hit a dog cause there's really not too many ways around it but a kid's no dog or animal, a kid's not stupid if you talk him clearly he'll understand what he did was wrong and there will be no need to use violence.
Yep, you guessed right, im against spanking and i think Adrian Peterson failed here if you're gonna treat your kid like a dog who can't control himself then you need to evaluate your competence as a parent.

He said it was Christian to accept punishment decisions, so I felt the need to quote Jesus to tell why doing awful things to children is wrong.

My main point is, I understand some people like to use violence as punishment, or at least the threat of violence. Personally, I am completely against it. My dad got the switch as a kid. He has several mental problems now. My mom was horribly abused. She also has mental problems, anxiety, depression, the works. Everyone I know in my personal life who received violent punishment as a child has been harmed in later life. As a result of my mom and dad's upbringing, they only ever spanked me ONCE in my life, and it was after I did something horrible when I was old enough to know better. After that, they never even threatened to do it again. Not once. I will NEVER use or threaten violence once I have children. There is always a better way. Even with my views, I know people will still use violence against children. Spanking, while I completely disagree with using it, is not the worst thing on earth. Look at the Peterson situation, however. The photos, from a week later mind you, show that he did what could be considered abuse or torture to that child. The wounds were not close to fully healed after a WEEK. THAT IS NOT OKAY! Spanking is a gray area. What Peterson did is quite frankly horrifying. And even more against his case, I was disciplined with spanking only when I did something VERY wrong and an age OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG. Peterson's child is far too young to know better, and WAY too young to receive a beating so severe. That is my main point.

Also, a little bit of a moderator word. I'm quite surprised a discussion like this has stayed pretty civil for so long. Keep it up! I feel it's something important to discuss, but these topic usually tread on thin lines.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

raiders#11
Pro Bowl

Postby raiders#11 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Very good comment man. I hope adrian is going to jail for this. Nfl should ban him for the season and the vikings should fire him. If not i would be very angry on the commissioner. He abused his own child who is only four common thats scary. Vick was going to jail for dogs so adrian can stay free (?) because its only a child not a dog big shame...[/quote]

I have a question for example the vikings fire him will they get a cap hit for this (this year or the contract years) or have they to pay him ? And the Ravens must pay rice or not ? (also the question of cap hit or still paying the contract years or not) how the nfl and the teams handle something like this i dont know can someone explain me ?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 pm

The Ravens still take a cap hit and lose money, because they are breaking the contract. They could try to appeal, but that usually doesn't work.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 pm

raiders#11 wrote:Very good comment man. I hope adrian is going to jail for this. Nfl should ban him for the season and the vikings should fire him. If not i would be very angry on the commissioner. He abused his own child who is only four common thats scary. Vick was going to jail for dogs so adrian can stay free (?) because its only a child not a dog big shame...

I have a question for example the vikings fire him will they get a cap hit for this (this year or the contract years) or have they to pay him ? And the Ravens must pay rice or not ? (also the question of cap hit or still paying the contract years or not) how the nfl and the teams handle something like this i dont know can someone explain me ?

I read that the Vikings will have a $2.4M salary hit if they cut Peterson. That's not bad, as they have Peterson inked for another 3 years at around $14M each, which is a lot of money. The Ravens already paid whatever salary hit they had to (I don't know how much). In football, the future years on a contract are not guaranteed like baseball, so cutting players is much easier. However, any guaranteed money that is paid up front when the deal is signed is, well, guaranteed.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Sleeper66
All-Pro

Postby Sleeper66 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:29 pm

The idea of AP being released is less far-fetched now. Second report of abuse is circulating, suggesting a pattern. Not good.

He never should have let his kids watch The Simpsons.

EDIT

I'm sure the Vikings are hoping the PR situation will blow over, but apparently some fans are taking this s**t seriously.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24711321/vikings-message-board-shuts-down-calls-teams-handling-of-peterson-cowardly

Key quote: "Vikings Message Board has been shut down permanently. It will not return. There are two primary reasons.

"1. The Vikings cowardly decision to reinstate a child abuser and think that an apology will make this blow over. We will not stand for this arrogance and we will no longer be the home of any support of the Vikings. We stand for those who cannot defend themselves.

"2. We will not give a voice to thugs who think child abuse is "cultural" or worse, openly advocate child abuse as a reasonable method of punishment. This ends here. Yes, a few board members have ruined it for everyone. Congratulations, a--holes."

Return to “Minnesota Vikings”