baker mayfield ....manziel 2.0?

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 am

hi guys,
I would like your opinions on whether you think the browns got their qb (finally!) or got another manziel 2.0.....all opinions are welcome...just want to hear the consensus of FI about baker mayfield going to the browns...good fit or bad fit you decide....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: baker mayfield ....manziel 2.0?

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:58 am

I originally though they were going to draft Josh Allen. Good thing for the Browns that I was wrong. I like Mayfield, he's a pretty good QB. I don't think he'll become Manziel 2.0 or Ryan Leaf 2.0.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:48 am

What I don't get, and one should never try to understand the Browns, is why they didn't go Barkley at no. 1 and then you're pretty much guaranteed to have Mayfield or Darnold sitting there at 4. Or, at the very worst, one of the Joshes. Don't get it, but hey, they are Cleveland.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am

KeepinItTeal wrote:What I don't get, and one should never try to understand the Browns, is why they didn't go Barkley at no. 1 and then you're pretty much guaranteed to have Mayfield or Darnold sitting there at 4. Or, at the very worst, one of the Joshes. Don't get it, but hey, they are Cleveland.

Is it possible they believed some of the mock drafts that said Barkley would be there at #4?

I don't follow college football, so I'm not sure what to believe. I've seen people call Barkley a Trent Richardson 2.0, though I was very impressed by his highlights.

Also, I know QB is a crucial position, but I don't understand how so many people called Barkley a generational talent, yet mock drafts consistently put him around the #2 to #4 spot. I personally would have taken a chance on him at #1.

As for my Colts, I am glad we are trying to protect our QB. Maybe that will help finally have a dominant run game, too. I'm excited to see what we do with three 2nd-rounders.

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am

Oops, forgot I was not on the draft thread, sorry that I digressed.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:15 am

First of all, Baker Mayfield is not Manziel 2.0. Unlike Manziel, Baker is very devoted to football and is very excited to help the Browns improve. Manziel wasn't there at all to help Cleveland; he was just there to show up. Plus, Manziel probably shouldn't have gone that high in the draft, now that we all look back on it. He almost got sent to prison for years, he parties way too much, he's a liar, and he actually lacks a lot for a starting QB.

If the Browns selected Saquon 1st, this would give the Jets an opportunity to draft Mayfield 3rd. The Browns would then have no choice but to pick one of the Joshes, most likely Josh Allen because Sam Darnold was no longer a choice for the Browns for Qbs. They probably could've drafted Bradley Chubb 4th, but Cleveland needed a QB.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:01 pm

It made sense for the Browns to take their favorite QB first overall. I think it would be dumb to take "the best of what's left" at pick #4. Barkley is an amazing running back, but that's a position you can find great talents at much later in the draft (Hunt, Kamara, and D. Johnson were all 3rd round picks). A team is much more likely to find a great starting HB in the 3rd round than find the next Russell Wilson.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Good points! I guess it all dépends who the team was enamored in. I see no problem taking your guy #1 even if most people project him further.

I do believe in trading down, but that can be a dangerous strategy. So kudos to the Browns for going after the players they want, hopefully it works out for them. This offseason has been fascinating for them.

Return to “Cleveland Browns”