Steelers release James Harrison

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Steelers today released the All-Time Sack leader James Harrison (82.5) and activated T Marcus Gilbert from the Suspened by the Commissioner. Also that means RB Steven Ridley will stay on the team . Ridley was signed to a 1 yr $.72 million contract when RB James Conner was placed on IR
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Re: Steelers release James Harrison

Postby Kevin5455 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:07 am

BUS36 wrote:Steelers today released the All-Time Sack leader James Harrison (82.5) and activated T Marcus Gilbert from the Suspened by the Commissioner. Also that means RB Steven Ridley will stay on the team . Ridley was signed to a 1 yr $.72 million contract when RB James Conner was placed on IR

Still don't understand why they released him.

LT #78
Pro Bowl

Postby LT #78 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:18 am

Harrison has played 40 snaps all season. Either the Steelers don't value what he can do, or he just can't do it anymore. Either way, no point in keeping a player you aren't going to play.

LT #78
Pro Bowl

Postby LT #78 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:31 pm

He's a Patriot now.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:00 pm

well he will be used to get info on our defenses and signs and plays...so we signed Ridely ( for the same reason)
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Eros
All-Pro

Postby Eros » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:28 am

BUS36 wrote:well he will be used to get info on our defenses and signs and plays...so we signed Ridely ( for the same reason)

I think people are overreacting on James Harrison signing only for the Steelers D info. With today's technology and the way the game film is studied, overall schemes and plays are pretty well known already. If the Pats and Steelers happen to meet in the playoffs again, James Harrison will know as much about the Steelers game plan as the rest of the Pats. As far as i know teams in such games mostly design specific plays for a specific game.

My opinion the James Harrison signing is comparable to that of Chris Long lat year. In the playoffs you need only a couple of plays to win it all and i think Harrison is still capable of doing it.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Re: Pats sign Ex-Steeler James Harrison

Postby BUS36 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:02 am

Eros wrote:
I think people are overreacting on James Harrison signing only for the Steelers D info. With today's technology and the way the game film is studied, overall schemes and plays are pretty well known already. If the Pats and Steelers happen to meet in the playoffs again, James Harrison will know as much about the Steelers game plan as the rest of the Pats. As far as i know teams in such games mostly design specific plays for a specific game.

My opinion the James Harrison signing is comparable to that of Chris Long lat year. In the playoffs you need only a couple of plays to win it all and i think Harrison is still capable of doing it.

I agree and since they had already played..they have an Idea of what is coming. Also the last couple of times I saw Harrison play..he looked slow withno explosion. To me he is and always be a Steeler ( like Rod Woodson and Kevin Greene)
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

LT #78
Pro Bowl

Postby LT #78 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 am

There's no guarantee that the Steelers and Patriots will play again this season, so it wouldn't make sense to sign him for that reason, even if the Patriots somehow did need more information on the Steelers' defense. They don't, though. The Steelers run the same soft zone garbage in every game, even if it doesn't work. Bill Belichick is already familiar with all the soft zone coverages. He knows their names and everything :lol:

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:39 pm

LT#78...yes you are right but now that Haden is healthy ..they looked to play more man. Both teams know what each other does..so the Steelers getting RB Ridley and the Patriots getting OLB Harrison is basically getting holes filed for the playoffs.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Jay.paige
Pro Bowl

Postby Jay.paige » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Having Harrison on the pats clearly weighs more than Ridley signing with the steelers. Harrison will put in work on the pats weak side immediately. Ridley won't be a factor of any kind being 3 years removed from the Pats system. Even if Bell gets injured, Ridley won't be a threat on the field either.

Return to “Pittsburgh Steelers”