And ... Landry is out

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

And ... Landry is out

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:50 pm

To be honest, I was expecting Josh Dobbs to be cut (maybe placed in the Practice Squad), or the VERY impossible scenario to keep 4 QBs, which was probably not possible. Cue me opening Behind the Steel Curtain and reading the first name posted in the released list: QB Landry Jones.

I'm no Jones fan, but he was still as solid backup QB with actual NFL experience, maybe not one that would single handedly make up for Big Ben, but one that could salvage 2-3 games. They are putting a lot of trust in either Josh or Mason to take over Ben if he goes down.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

And ... Landry is out

Sponsor

Sponsor

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Re: And ... Landry is out

Postby BUS36 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:30 am

I agree but Jones was going into his last year...Dobbs has 3 years left and an option year, and Rudolph signed a 4 year with and option 5th. Cheaper...that is why. I think that a total of 4 years not being more than a backup hurt Jones..Both Dobbs and Rudolph has mobility..Jones doesn't.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:32 am

I also think that they believe in Dobbs to be the backup cause of his ability to escape from pressure and his 2nd year.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Has it been announced whether Dobbs or Rudolph is the backup? I was under the impression it was going to be Rudolph.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:01 pm

BUS36 wrote:I agree but Jones was going into his last year...Dobbs has 3 years left and an option year, and Rudolph signed a 4 year with and option 5th. Cheaper...that is why. I think that a total of 4 years not being more than a backup hurt Jones..Both Dobbs and Rudolph has mobility..Jones doesn't.

Yeah, there are plenty of advantages when it comes to keeping Dobbs and Rudolph instead of Jones and either Dobbs or Rudolph. It is still surprising, I expected that Jones' actual regular season experience compared to Josh's 1 year of experience and Mason's 0 years would be enough to keep him in the roster.

Danchat wrote:Has it been announced whether Dobbs or Rudolph is the backup? I was under the impression it was going to be Rudolph.

In theory, it would be Josh Dobbs because he has 1 year learning the offense. They have not announced it yet. Maybe they'll do that before the 1st game. They'll eventually release the depth chart as I understand it.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:36 pm

per the Steelers.com...
QB
Starter
Ben Roethlisberger
Joshua Dobbs
Mason Rudolph
This was right after the 4pm deadline.....Wednesday will has the correct DC
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:34 pm

BUS36 wrote:per the Steelers.com...
QB
Starter
Ben Roethlisberger
Joshua Dobbs
Mason Rudolph
This was right after the 4pm deadline.....Wednesday will has the correct DC

Dobbs will be the backup for now, which I'm actually ok with. Sad that Matthew Thomas is not higher in the Depth Chart, but they'll still feature him I hope. Also, finally no more AB returning kicks. Switzer showed some moves returning kicks, and not having Brown fielding punts and kicks will prevent him from getting hit far many times than necessary. I'm still not perfectly sure who will be the 3rd Wide Receiver, if Justin Hunter or James Washington
Semper fi

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:40 pm

I think the hot hand in practice will be the #3WR....both (Hunter and Washington) had strong preseasons..With Thomas being a very athletic LB I can see him being the Edge Rusher in some packages with Olasunkanmi Adeniyi being placed on the Return/IR...I liked both of them ..I also could see them bringing back Keion Adams( who also had a good camp)
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “Pittsburgh Steelers”