Giants Sign Brandon Marshall

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 pm

The NY Giants and veteran WR Brandon Marshall have agreed to a two-year, $12 million deal.

I think this is gonna work. The G-Men have needed a big outside target, plus he's pals with OBJ. I think he fits right in.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Giants Sign Brandon Marshall

Postby RevanFan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:12 pm

JSamuel wrote:The NY Giants and veteran WR Brandon Marshall have agreed to a two-year, $12 million deal.

I think this is gonna work. The G-Men have needed a big outside target, plus he's pals with OBJ. I think he fits right in.

Yeah, but how cranky is OBJ going to get when Marshall starts taking his targets?
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 pm

RevanFan wrote:
JSamuel wrote:The NY Giants and veteran WR Brandon Marshall have agreed to a two-year, $12 million deal.

Yeah, but how cranky is OBJ going to get when Marshall starts taking his targets?

Hopefully Odell can grow up this year. He needs to if he wants his team to go farther than they did last year.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Signing Marshall for $6M a year is a good deal, but having 2 WR divas could make things go sour fast.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Danchat wrote:Signing Marshall for $6M a year is a good deal, but having 2 WR divas could make things go sour fast.

That's true. But I do think, as a non-Giants-fan, it will be fun to watch.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43 am

JSamuel wrote:
Danchat wrote:Signing Marshall for $6M a year is a good deal, but having 2 WR divas could make things go sour fast.

That's true. But I do think, as a non-Giants-fan, it will be fun to watch.

Marshall isn't as much of a distraction as he used to be, especially since getting his mental disorders diagnosed and worked on, but him being there could trigger Beckham's true super saiyan diva.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 am

I believe under Eli Manning, will not have problems...
if was another poor quarterback the problems could be triggered again

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:41 am

RevanFan wrote:

Exactly.
Marshall will get cranky, too. I know, I know...he says "he is only worried about winning now".
But, only 2 short seasons ago, Brandon Marshall left a book in the lockers of each QB, the O-Coordinator, and the QB Coach.
This was a book, written by Keyshawn Johnson, titled "Just Give Me The Ball".

Back in 2013, while playing for the Bears. Alshon Jeffery had 200-yd recieving game and Marshall cried and whined in the locker room about "not being allowed to help".

Giants fans should be very concerned here.
Moreover, they should be concerned that the coaching staff is stupid enough to bring this guy in!
The OTA's, workouts, and pre-season will all go swimmingly. The NY Times' Headlines will all be glitter and gold.
Then around the 3rd, or 4th game. It'll start to crumble.

Now, if the opposite prove true, they could be top 3 in passing offenses.
So, risk v.s. reward, ya know

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 am

1312qohelet wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

Exactly.
Marshall will get cranky, too. I know, I know...he says "he is only worried about winning now".
But, only 2 short seasons ago, Brandon Marshall left a book in the lockers of each QB, the O-Coordinator, and the QB Coach.
This was a book, written by Keyshawn Johnson, titled "Just Give Me The Ball".

Back in 2013, while playing for the Bears. Alshon Jeffery had 200-yd recieving game and Marshall cried and whined in the locker room about "not being allowed to help".

Giants fans should be very concerned here.
Moreover, they should be concerned that the coaching staff is stupid enough to bring this guy in!
The OTA's, workouts, and pre-season will all go swimmingly. The NY Times' Headlines will all be glitter and gold.
Then around the 3rd, or 4th game. It'll start to crumble.

Now, if the opposite prove true, they could be top 3 in passing offenses.
So, risk v.s. reward, ya know

I think everyone here put up some great valid points. But as a Giants fan I am also in the cautious boat, b/c lets face it Eli Manning is not the same gunslinger/deep ball thrower that he once was. He regressed some in long yardage throws.
Marshall is a great Wr in terms of attacking /going to get the ball even when misplaced/errant throw so as a red zone target and short yardage he's a great player. My concern is that he's been known to be a locker room cancer in the past (bears, broncs) and throw qb's under the bus if they start losing bad.... (cutler)

I applaud him for the way he's cleaned up his life/character in terms of avoiding negative off field stuff like domestic violence etc but I still think if the Giants start losing a streak of games he'll relapse to his old complaining Brandon Marshall. I don't really think OBJ's targets will disappear.....but he may be used only as a vertical threat/stretch the field/slot guy while Brandon Marshall will become the safety blanket/Mr. First Down/short yard type player and see more overall targets but of course less yardage due to his shorter routes/age/lack of game break speed anymore.

I just hope this doesn't turn out like T.O. and Ochocinco in Cincinatti.....that would really suck....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Marshall appears on the show Inside the NFL, he'll be 33 at the start of the season, gets to continue to live and work in NYC, and he's coming off career lows (since 2007) in receptions, yards per game, and touchdowns.

I personally doubt this is a two-year deal, depends on what the guaranteed was and the cap penalty for next season. Smells like a one-and-done final season contract.

Further, considering his television career interests, I doubt he causes any sort of distractions. I also doubt he reaches last year's level of diminished production.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Return to “New York Giants”