Daniel Jones named starting QB

joho823
Pro Bowl

Postby joho823 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS! Daniel Jones has been named the new starting QB for the New York Football Giants.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27636024/giants-bench-eli-elevate-jones-starting-qb

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Daniel Jones named starting QB

Postby RevanFan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 pm

I don't particularly like Eli, but he wasn't even close to their biggest issue. He was playing decently well, but everyone around him wasn't. It'll be no different under Jones. But it makes sense to try to get a good look at your future quarterback.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:07 pm

RevanFan wrote:I don't particularly like Eli, but he wasn't even close to their biggest issue. He was playing decently well, but everyone around him wasn't. It'll be no different under Jones. But it makes sense to try to get a good look at your future quarterback.

It’ll be no different? Bruh?!?! Eli’s old. Jones is like a younger Eli. I think the Giants could go above .500 with Jones.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 pm

RevanFan wrote:I don't particularly like Eli, but he wasn't even close to their biggest issue. He was playing decently well, but everyone around him wasn't. It'll be no different under Jones. But it makes sense to try to get a good look at your future quarterback.

Didn't the Giants have like 5 WRs injured for the last couple of games? At some point they need to say "Let's let Jones handle the offense". I don't think they go far with Jones, but at least everyone gets to see if he's as good as his preseason performance.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:20 am

sarcasticface wrote:

It’ll be no different? Bruh?!?! Eli’s old. Jones is like a younger Eli. I think the Giants could go above .500 with Jones.

No. The Eagles, disappointing as they have looked, Washington, and Dallas will all get in the Giants way, and their defense is horrendous. Even if Jones is lights out, which I'm not so sure he will be, they won't be over .500.

The NFL is a tough league. For instance, I recently guessed that my Cowboys will go 8-0 during their first 8 games after all the issues with teams like the Jets, Saints, and Giants. Will they have a chance? Of course. Is it likely? Probably not.

Only way the Giants finish over .500 is if they move to the AFC East and swap spots with New England.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:59 am

I agree the Giants won't be big movers in the NFC East (this is as a Giants fan that I am speaking). However, Eli as great as he was is not the same anymore. He rarely pushes the ball down the field and his anticipation throws deep are way off. I watched some of his interceptions this past week at the bills and one of them where he goes deep he overshoots his receiver by like 7 yards into triple coverage!? I think Daniel Jones will actually do okay. He may even get the Giants to go 9-7 but miss the playoffs due to better teams pushing them out for the last wildcard spot. Eli was a great player and he did a lot for the Giants but in a division and league where everyone is grooming the next set of young qb's it's time to move on and get NY back to a winning record. What concerns me is Eli's arm strength and anticipation throws have both regressed terribly. I think Daniel with his youth and probably more mobile than Eli at this point, will help spread the offense out and give Saquon more running lanes especially if Daniel rolls out of the pocket and throws on the run. It will force the safeties deeper to cover the deep pass and allow Saquon more space to run for yardage.

update: just saw this article and even coach agrees Daniel has more speed/mobility and opens up the playbook more with more run-pass option plays.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/16/hidden-an ... s-madness/
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

joho823
Pro Bowl

Postby joho823 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am

From the looks of it, Big Blue will be running a much more dynamic offense now that Jones is under center. Though I wish they could do a little something about that defense.

GiantsRose
Rookie

Postby GiantsRose » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Decent so far but has to learn to take some power off his throws or something. Past 2 games hes consistently been over throwing guys deep.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:01 pm

I'd love to see him pull of a MAJOR upset tonight.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 pm

GiantsRose wrote:Decent so far but has to learn to take some power off his throws or something. Past 2 games hes consistently been over throwing guys deep.

Spot on assessment. Dude has been way off today throwing out patterns. His accuracy is severely lacking in his mid range game especially.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Return to “New York Giants”