Redskins change their name?

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:58 pm

WTF?! I don't care about the Redskins since I'm a Cowboys fan, but seriously: WTF?!
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... hange-name

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins change their name?

Postby NickyJ » Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm still mad after the North Dakota Fighting Sioux had to change their name to....North Dakota. They don't even have a team name anymore!
I don't want to get on a soapbox and talk politics here, but there is no offense to Native Americans-heck, I thought the Fighting Sioux were really cool.
The Redskins have always been the Skins and always remain that. I agree with Synder.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Thu May 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Danchat wrote:I'm still mad after the North Dakota Fighting Sioux had to change their name to....North Dakota. They don't even have a team name anymore!
I don't want to get on a soapbox and talk politics here, but there is no offense to Native Americans-heck, I thought the Fighting Sioux were really cool.
The Redskins have always been the Skins and always remain that. I agree with Synder.

What's funny is that there are actually Native Americans who have "Redskins" as their team name as well. They don't have a problem, 79% of America has no problem, and there is no problem.

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Thu May 09, 2013 8:17 pm

BTW kudos to anyone who played this epic game

Well, I'm not a Redskins fan but I'm a fan of football, and talking about the Redskins is talking about history of the game and tradition, in the NFL very few franchises changed their names, most of them only changed name because of relocations, there's no way the Redskins are changing, while another name would adjust to the "politically correct" opinion, the name is staying, the only thing that could change that is a major uproar and since that hasn't happened since Washington's day 1 as "Redskins" there's simply no reason for that to happen nowdays

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 pm

the only thing that could change that is a major uproar

There'd be a major uproar in the NFL and with the fans! I'd go protest with Nicky if that happened!
...then the fans would threaten Goodell and tell him to keep the name or else all the fans will quit watching. Then bye bye billions of dollars.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Danchat wrote:
the only thing that could change that is a major uproar

There'd be a major uproar in the NFL and with the fans! I'd go protest with Nicky if that happened!
...then the fans would threaten Goodell and tell him to keep the name or else all the fans will quit watching. Then bye bye billions of dollars.

I'm one of those (the vast majority I think) who dissaproves Goodell and his policies towards the "all-clean" NFL, and I wouldn't like a change in the Redskins name, but, didn't we said the same when the lockout was the headline all over? I've said I wouldn't support the NFL back then, and the draft came and I watched, then the whole replacement referees, and many said they are no longer watching the NFL but they watched. Honestly there's no league in the world that has the level of competition and emotion that the NFL has
In all seriousness would you stop watching the NFL if the Redskins changed their name? I wouldn't like the change but it's way easier to say you'll stop watching the pro football than doing it

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 pm

"Mr. Snyder, please make a statement saying that you'll never change the team's name."

- Asked no one

packers316
All-Pro

Postby packers316 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:42 am

news sells because of controversy...this is just gonna keep coming up until someone makes a solid statement/claim, which the franchise seems to have done with the survey at the bottom of said article.

independent Annenberg Institute poll (taken in 2004) with a national sample of Native Americans, 9 out of 10 Native Americans said they were not bothered by the name the 'Washington Redskins....an April 2013 AP poll showed that 8 out of 10 of all Americans in a national sample don't think the Washington Redskins' name should be changed.
Green Bay Packers, Franchise Journal: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/view ... =2&t=14773
Heisman 14 Add-on Team
AGL MOD: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=15644

Return to “Washington Football Team”