Redskins change their name?

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins change their name?

Postby elguapo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 pm

RevanFan wrote:
elguapo wrote:A lot of my Hispanic friends that are Redskins fans are fans because it depicts our Hispanic ancestry of North American Indians.

There are many Native Americans who aren't offended. The problem, though, is that there are many who are as well. In my mind they should find a way to honor native history without using it as a prop or mascot, and without using a widely-hated word as their name. There are plenty of sports teams that honor native history without using offensive terminology or imagery (note, I'm not including the Cleveland Indians. First... they're not Indians. Second... Chief Wahoo was a bad idea and an awful logo. Glad they shut him down a few years back.)
elguapo wrote:Edit: if they change it to the redtails as many are suggesting I don't know if my friends will continue to be fans as they were zero blacks in north America.

Originally, no. But there are MANY now, and as far as I'm aware there aren't really many team names directly honoring their history. I'd be fine with Redtails for a new name, or I'd be fine with them choosing a non-offensive way to honor Native Americans. Or... well, really mostly anything other than what they have now.

And honestly, I doubt the name change will stop many of their fans from supporting them. Some sure, but teams can change their names and keep their fans in many cases. Look at the Yankees. They used to be the Highlanders. (Well, they were also the Orioles... but let's not talk about that haha.)

When their song sings "hail to the Redskins" how is that hating on native Americans? And like you said, there are many native Americans that are not offended, why are they being silenced?

If a color of a skin is offensive then we should stop calling Asians yellow, hispanics brown, blacks black and whites white.

I'll leave it at that.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:54 pm

elguapo wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
elguapo wrote:A lot of my Hispanic friends that are Redskins fans are fans because it depicts our Hispanic ancestry of North American Indians.

There are many Native Americans who aren't offended. The problem, though, is that there are many who are as well. In my mind they should find a way to honor native history without using it as a prop or mascot, and without using a widely-hated word as their name. There are plenty of sports teams that honor native history without using offensive terminology or imagery (note, I'm not including the Cleveland Indians. First... they're not Indians. Second... Chief Wahoo was a bad idea and an awful logo. Glad they shut him down a few years back.)
elguapo wrote:Edit: if they change it to the redtails as many are suggesting I don't know if my friends will continue to be fans as they were zero blacks in north America.

Originally, no. But there are MANY now, and as far as I'm aware there aren't really many team names directly honoring their history. I'd be fine with Redtails for a new name, or I'd be fine with them choosing a non-offensive way to honor Native Americans. Or... well, really mostly anything other than what they have now.

And honestly, I doubt the name change will stop many of their fans from supporting them. Some sure, but teams can change their names and keep their fans in many cases. Look at the Yankees. They used to be the Highlanders. (Well, they were also the Orioles... but let's not talk about that haha.)

When their song sings "hail to the Redskins" how is that hating on native Americans? And like you said, there are many native Americans that are not offended, why are they being silenced?

If a color of a skin is offensive then we should stop calling Asians yellow, hispanics brown, blacks black and whites white.

I'll leave it at that.

I've never heard anyone in my life call Asian people "yellow" without intending to offend. Right now marks the first and only time in my life. The rest of those terms... generally the groups in question don't find those terms offensive. Personally I'd be fine if we did away with all of those, but if it doesn't bother anyone, it's not a big deal. "Redskins" is a term that became offensive to many Native Americans throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. It bothers a LOT of people. It was already offensive when Washington chose the name. They easily could have gone another route but they didn't. Also, keep in mind that they were the last team to integrate and fought it tooth and nail. They may not have "intended" to offend anyone, but honestly, I doubt the people who chose the name cared. I don't think their owner now cares, quite frankly. But he does care about money, and the name is now losing him money and sponsorships.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:44 pm

Nah fam people are just too damn sensitive. @Revanfan, people also thought that what Drew Brees said was racist and ignorant. It was, in fact, neither of those.

If that’s the case, they should change the
Giants (discriminates short people)
Saints (discriminates people of no religion)
Patriots (discriminates people who have no respect for the Patriots that fought in the Revolutionary War (there are many people like this)).

When will life get back to normal?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:54 am

sarcasticface wrote:Nah fam people are just too damn sensitive. @Revanfan, people also thought that what Drew Brees said was racist and ignorant. It was, in fact, neither of those.

Patriots (discriminates people who have no respect for the Patriots that fought in the Revolutionary War (there are many people like this)).

Neither of those discriminate against anyone. Those words were neither designed as harmful nor have they been recognized as harmful to groups of people.

Life will be normal when people treat each other with respect. If someone called you a name or word you hated, would you not ask them to stop? And if they didn't, would you not be upset? At least to some small degree?
My Cowboys Journal

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:59 am

KO'BBF wrote:Hey mikewest ... ;) as funny of a read as that is, it shows that the writer is not familiar with the history of the National Football League.

The Browns and the Broncos snipets are utterly ridiculous... the Bengals name was lifted from a previous club... naturally the Cardinals didn't originate in Arizona....

Nevermind, I'll go Karen elsewhere :lol: back to your scheduled programming.

It was funny, but that was his take on this issue back then. I noticed his take wasn't totally factual, but it's his take none the less! I posted it to break some of the tension! I've read all 8 pages of this topic before I posted! It's good that some of share the same view and it's ok others have a different view and opinion about it, as long as we respect the views whether you agree or not! The common goal is, every voice gets heard, and nobody get disrespected in the end!

Revanfan, this is good for the FI community. We can all learn and grow from this! If a member agree's with Dan and feels no harm, no foul, that's his opinion, right or wrong! I figure if the people feel it's a slander, slap in the face, or disrespectful then it needs to change to something more respectable/fun? According to the people, the name is offensive, so... as film director Spike Lee once wrote, Do the right thing!

KO'BBF, Karen huh!

albedarnit
All-Pro

Postby albedarnit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:39 am

Perhaps this will ad to the controversy, but I feel this must be said. These "group(s)" that are calling for the name change? These same people, and they are the same people. Just follow the money trail. They are now wanting to ban certain books too. Hmmmmm.... so much for freedom of speech, freedom of choice, freedom of religion. You get the point. They are all related. Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile. Just look at all the legislation over the last 50 years. It will never stop. They just keep taking and taking. It's been said that the US will never be invaded from the outside. It will be taken down from the inside. Just read your history. We humans are sometimes just so ignorant, especially when it comes to history. Thank you for letting me speak my mind. Football forever!!!! Play on!!!!

P.S.: I just want to play and watch football. All this other stuff is BS. Play. Have fun. That is the intention of it all.
"Every coach has his own style of play, but when you spend your whole life as a Cowboy, you have to be influenced by what we did." - Tom Landry

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:30 am

RevanFan wrote:
sarcasticface wrote:Nah fam people are just too damn sensitive. @Revanfan, people also thought that what Drew Brees said was racist and ignorant. It was, in fact, neither of those.

Neither of those discriminate against anyone. Those words were neither designed as harmful nor have they been recognized as harmful to groups of people.

Life will be normal when people treat each other with respect. If someone called you a name or word you hated, would you not ask them to stop? And if they didn't, would you not be upset? At least to some small degree?

If I was called a name I hated, I would ask to stop. And if they didn’t, I would be upset. But if that name was the name of an NFL team, that would be awesome.

By life getting back to normal, I mean, when will COVID, BLM, and everything else end?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:33 pm

sarcasticface wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

If I was called a name I hated, I would ask to stop. And if they didn’t, I would be upset. But if that name was the name of an NFL team, that would be awesome.

By life getting back to normal, I mean, when will COVID, BLM, and everything else end?

Black Lives Matter will end when black people stop getting killed at a higher rate per capita than anyone else by police, and when they're taken seriously by the government and corporations.

COVID? Well, that one is more tricky. First, we'll need to develop a working vaccine. Then that vaccine will need to be made available for free to everyone. Then, the vast majority of the country needs to get vaccinated. Once that's done, we should be good. That is, unless COVID ends up being a yearly thing like the flu. In that case, we'll need to be vaccinated every single year. Hopefully that doesn't happen, because COVID SUCKS. I haven't seen my friends in person in months. The only baseball games I've seen were intrasquad. I can't leave the house without worrying "will I get sick?"

As for everything else? Honestly, man, I don't know. The world is a bit of a mess right now, but all I can say is I hope you have some good friends and family you can rely on, and know that this forum will welcome you as well.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about Washington's name, but I felt I had to respond. Trying to share a little bit of positivity, especially considering we're in the darkest timeline haha.
My Cowboys Journal

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:26 pm

RevanFan wrote:Black Lives Matter will end when black people stop getting killed at a higher rate per capita than anyone else by police, and when they're taken seriously by the government and corporations.

You're spreading false information about BLM, it's not what you think it is. It's a communist organization set to replace our capitalist economy with communism.

And about blacks being targeted by police is a lie also. According to FBI numbers more whites died by police than blacks. I know you're a statics guy and use them to prove how a certain player was great because of his stats. Show me the stats that contradict the FBI numbers.

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:55 pm

RevanFan wrote:the darkest timeline haha.

I got that quote. “I wonder what’s happening in all the other timelines?”

Return to “Washington Football Team”