Redskins fire Jay Gruden after 0-5 start

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:13 am

This should've been done years ago. Long overdue.

Sponsor

Sponsor

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins fire Jay Gruden after 0-5 start

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:32 pm

Austinmario13 wrote:This should've been done years ago. Long overdue.

Agree, this guy was an imbecile and never used his offensive talent even when they had decent teams. Him and his brother are right next to the Ryan brothers in terms of coaches that plain suck and don't have any ability to lead a team. RGIII was messed up due to his injury but I also think if he had a different coach back then he would have had a better chance of staying in Washington/having success especially like the RPO they play in Baltimore. If they continued Shanahan's style of RPO, RG3 may have still been a starter in Washington.

I'm not a Washington fan, but it sucked to see him play favorites with certain players and not give others a shot. He did it with RG3 and Cousins and he is doing it again with Haskins and Keenum/McCoy and also Adrian Peterson not giving him a few reps at all one week. Yes AP may be slow and old but the guy still can play and he proved that last season rushing for over 1000 yards.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:05 pm

With all of the front office corruption and incompetence in Washington, there's just no hope for any head coach to elevate this team. Gruden didn't stand a chance.

His fate was sealed once Trent Williams vowed to never play another down for Washington again. The Deadskins are going to be bad for quite awhile, and they're going to squander Dwayne Haskins... I just know they will.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:52 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:

Agree, this guy was an imbecile and never used his offensive talent even when they had decent teams. Him and his brother are right next to the Ryan brothers in terms of coaches that plain suck and don't have any ability to lead a team. RGIII was messed up due to his injury but I also think if he had a different coach back then he would have had a better chance of staying in Washington/having success especially like the RPO they play in Baltimore. If they continued Shanahan's style of RPO, RG3 may have still been a starter in Washington.

I'm not a Washington fan, but it sucked to see him play favorites with certain players and not give others a shot. He did it with RG3 and Cousins and he is doing it again with Haskins and Keenum/McCoy and also Adrian Peterson not giving him a few reps at all one week. Yes AP may be slow and old but the guy still can play and he proved that last season rushing for over 1000 yards.

Question: did Gruden had ANY kind of control of the lineup? Didn't Snyder had pretty much full control of who to put on the field while Gruden had to handle the execution? I don't know how the RGIII/Cousins thing was, but looking at the how he said Haskins "wasn't ready", started Keenum, benched him for general ineffectiveness, then put in Haskins and looked terrible as he predicted, I honestly think he had his hands tied and was following orders. Not saying dude was a great coach (I'd say he's decent), but there's only so much you can do when you can't call the shots when it comes to who will be on your team.
To me it seems Gruden got fired because a) he refused to play ball when it came to deploying Haskins and b) making sure the interim coach looks decent, by not having the first test being against NE.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:47 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:

Question: did Gruden had ANY kind of control of the lineup? Didn't Snyder had pretty much full control of who to put on the field while Gruden had to handle the execution? I don't know how the RGIII/Cousins thing was, but looking at the how he said Haskins "wasn't ready", started Keenum, benched him for general ineffectiveness, then put in Haskins and looked terrible as he predicted, I honestly think he had his hands tied and was following orders. Not saying dude was a great coach (I'd say he's decent), but there's only so much you can do when you can't call the shots when it comes to who will be on your team.
To me it seems Gruden got fired because a) he refused to play ball when it came to deploying Haskins and b) making sure the interim coach looks decent, by not having the first test being against NE.

I agree that the owner meddled quite a bit with the question of which players to play. However, I just always got the feeling Gruden was a bit lost on the sideline. Like being a head coach was too much of a job for him/he was overwhelmed with the pressure.
For the RG3 thing, there were disputes between RG3 and Gruden because Gruden felt Cousins would be a better option to run his style of offense and that Gruden did not want RG3 on the team. Again it was a lot of he said- they said type things but it's well documented of the dysfunction with the Redskins when both Cousins and RG3 were on the team with Gruden as the HC. Of course, we should listen to both sides of RG3 and Gruden as I think both sides are to blame..(even Santana Moss said RG3 wasn't getting along with any coach) so it is what it is....However, I think Gruden should have just stuck with the Bengals as the OC because he thrived in that position and being a HC is a job he isn't cut out for.....the guy looks shell shocked and way in over his head as a head coach....just my opinion.

Link to articles about Gruden's RG3/Cousins drama and why it did not work.....

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/kirk-c ... nes-backup

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/robe ... -redskins/
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Return to “Washington Football Team”