Bortles will stay with the Jags for the next season.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 pm

So I was doing my regular rounds through SB Nation, and this pops up: "Why did the Jaguars choose to extend Blake Bortles through 2020?". My first reaction was "They did? They really did?". So, here is what the article has to say.

Blake Bortles hasn’t been the best NFL quarterback in his four years in the NFL. Far from it. But he did enough to get a contract extension from the Jacksonville Jaguars that will add two years to his current deal and keep him tied to the Jaguars through the 2020 season.

Bortles, 25, will receive reportedly a three-year, $54 million deal from Jacksonville that includes $26.5 million in guaranteed money and can reach $66.5 million if he reaches all of his incentives, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

It comes after a bounce-back year for the quarterback who posted a completion percentage above 60 for the first time in his career in 2017 and threw 21 touchdowns with 13 interceptions. The Jaguars leaned heavily on an elite defense and powerful running attack to finish the regular season 10-6, but Bortles played well in the playoffs to help the team get to the AFC Championship.

Here is the full article: https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/24/1704 ... -extension

Your thoughts about Bortles? (I know KeepinItTeal will pop up pretty quick, and comment about this Tim Tebow clone getting an extension, which he is. Not saying he's a bad QB. But he isn't that good either.)
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Re: Bortles will stay with the Jags for the next season.

Postby KeepinItTeal » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Shoot me.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:05 pm

KeepinItTeal wrote:Shoot me.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:54 pm

I might take a wild guess and say someone doesn't like that decision. Or a lot of people.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 pm

jose21crisis wrote:

I might take a wild guess and say someone doesn't like that decision. Or a lot of people.

There is upside in that it is a cheap (if you can call $54M cheap) deal so they will be able to retain the talent they've amassed on D. And hopefully they draft a QB in round 1 or 2. But, the thought of going down to Everbank to watch him throw more end-over-end dying duck passes is almost too much to handle. :roll:

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:11 am

KeepinItTeal wrote:There is upside in that it is a cheap (if you can call $54M cheap) deal so they will be able to retain the talent they've amassed on D. And hopefully they draft a QB in round 1 or 2. But, the thought of going down to Everbank to watch him throw more end-over-end dying duck passes is almost too much to handle.

$54M is cheap for a QB deal. By 2019 it will be even cheaper. Hopefully the Jaguars draft a QB though. Bortles is just decent enough to play. The disadvantage is the exact same thing that Denver Broncos fans had to endure when Tim Tebow was playing, watching him making horrible throws about all day, with the ocasional laser strike.
Semper fi

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:29 am

Austinmario13 wrote:

lol this gif is awesome lol....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:35 pm

KeepinItTeal wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

There is upside in that it is a cheap (if you can call $54M cheap) deal so they will be able to retain the talent they've amassed on D. And hopefully they draft a QB in round 1 or 2. But, the thought of going down to Everbank to watch him throw more end-over-end dying duck passes is almost too much to handle. :roll:

But this is a perfect scenario to Draft a guy like Lamar Jackson and let him learn the game in pro level

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:03 pm

achernar wrote:
KeepinItTeal wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:I might take a wild guess and say someone doesn't like that decision. Or a lot of people.

But this is a perfect scenario to Draft a guy like Lamar Jackson and let him learn the game in pro level

I'd rather have Mason Rudolph as I don't believe running QBs can survive in the NFL, especially not a guy that only weighs 205.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm

KeepinItTeal wrote:
achernar wrote:
KeepinItTeal wrote:

I'd rather have Mason Rudolph as I don't believe running QBs can survive in the NFL, especially not a guy that only weighs 205.

Well, at least you are not from the people that thinks he should switch to receiver, or that Josh Allen is better than him (He isn't). He's a pretty good QB. Definitely thin, but quite good.
Semper fi

Return to “Jacksonville Jaguars”