Let's talk about judgment calls and OT

Do you think all judgment calls, not just PIs, should be reviewable?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 13

KO'BBF
MVP

Re: Let's talk about judgment calls and OT

Postby KO'BBF » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:17 pm

sarcasticface wrote:
KO'BBF wrote:I dont like the replay, never did. It's a human game and I like the idea of it all being left on the field.

I've also never been a fan of coaches calling timeouts. Let the players and the on field officials play the game and leave it all on the field.

I also prefer the old sudden death overtime rules. You have 60 minutes of regulation to get the job done. The argument of being "fair" should be nullified and void come OT, because you should have won the game when you had the opportunity in regulation. In OT.... first points score because you were the first to get there. I feel that is real football [real life for that matter] stop them if you want to win.

As far as the coin toss? Eh, it could be reworked. The XFL had the right idea there....

Not to be "that guy" but, that is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard about football.

I said my peace/piece. I made my point.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

Sponsor

Sponsor

sarcasticface
Hall of Fame

Postby sarcasticface » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm

KO'BBF wrote:
sarcasticface wrote:
KO'BBF wrote:I dont like the replay, never did. It's a human game and I like the idea of it all being left on the field.

I've also never been a fan of coaches calling timeouts. Let the players and the on field officials play the game and leave it all on the field.

I also prefer the old sudden death overtime rules. You have 60 minutes of regulation to get the job done. The argument of being "fair" should be nullified and void come OT, because you should have won the game when you had the opportunity in regulation. In OT.... first points score because you were the first to get there. I feel that is real football [real life for that matter] stop them if you want to win.

As far as the coin toss? Eh, it could be reworked. The XFL had the right idea there....

Not to be "that guy" but, that is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard about football.

I said my peace/piece. I made my point.

Yeah, I know. I just think it's dumb.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 pm

Okay, let's not go using insulting terminology. Even if you're not talking directly about a person... it's probably still best avoided.

I do pretty much completely disagree with KO'BBF, but I can understand why he might feel that way. Especially if you're more a fan of the older game.

Except for the timeout bit. I don't get that at all. Every major American sport has timeouts for one reason or another (I think.)

But trust me, that is far from the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard from football fans.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:44 am

RevanFan wrote:Okay, let's not go using insulting terminology. Even if you're not talking directly about a person... it's probably still best avoided.

I do pretty much completely disagree with KO'BBF, but I can understand why he might feel that way. Especially if you're more a fan of the older game.

Except for the timeout bit. I don't get that at all. Every major American sport has timeouts for one reason or another (I think.)

But trust me, that is far from the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard from football fans.

I like timeouts. I'm sayin', only players should call time out ... like the old days. I do like the old game, man up. Coaches should not be allowed to call timeouts ... players on the field only.

Just to reiterate my point ... football should be a game played on the field. If a ref misses a call it is equal to a dropped pass, blocked punt, missed block, etc. It's football. It's a game. It is a business, I agree. But its a contest among men. Not a replay camera. That was a key mistake in a key game, sure. But who is to say that was the deciding factor. Give the Saints the play ... lets say they score, the Rams sure could have scored some more.

I whole heartily feel overtime should be sudden death and I never will waiver. There is 60 minutes in regulation to beat your opponent. It'd be nice if they could scramble for the ball or even arm wrestle, but I guess a coin toss is as good as it gets. Anyway ... I've said this already .... peace out on this thread.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:27 am

As on who has seen the NFL grow from 1969 till the present, I understand how KO'BBF feels about OT and replay.I remember when there was no replay and the apology the team got was a letter from the rules committee saying "Sorry".
For OT..the original thought was to make sure games don't end in ties.....well it has kind of worked. There are still games that end in a tie..but most do get decided. The tweak here would be using the college game style...place the ball on the 30 and if a team kicks a FG the other must score a TD. ..basically meaning the first team scores the other team must better it.
Replay..go ahead and give the ability on certain judgement calls...but replay challenges would be limited like time outs.2 or 3 per half .. use them or loose them. All replays are done by the NFL office not by the ref. If a team looses a challenge they loose a time out and a get a delay of game penalty.
The use of modern technology is going to be a must..sensors in the ball and in gloves for those calls that involve piles( ex: goal line and fumbles). I recall that NBC used to have the close up on replays for calls ...I have not seen that in the last season being used..I wonder why?
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “NFL Football”