Goodbye to a Legend

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Goodbye to a Legend

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:34 pm

RevanFan wrote:
BUS36 wrote:here are my all time top ten TE in order ...
Gonzales
Sharpe
Mackey
Ditka
Winslow Sr.
Newsome
Francis
Casper
Gronk
Novacek

Again... you're forgetting someone. Someone I'd put higher than Ditka, Mackey, and possibly even Sharpe. Someone who just came out of retirement.

You probably mean Antonio Gates.
... no? ... Heath Miller? .... no?
Nah, I'm joking. Witten was an all time great TE.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
BUS36 wrote:here are my all time top ten TE in order ...
Gonzales
Sharpe
Mackey
Ditka
Winslow Sr.
Newsome
Francis
Casper
Gronk
Novacek

Again... you're forgetting someone. Someone I'd put higher than Ditka, Mackey, and possibly even Sharpe. Someone who just came out of retirement.

You probably mean Antonio Gates.
... no? ... Heath Miller? .... no?
Nah, I'm joking. Witten was an all time great TE.

Actually, I'd put Gates up there too. Completely forgot him. Oops.

But yeah, Witten. And what do you mean WAS? Dude just came back!!!
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 pm

RevanFan.. yes Witten was a great TE but he followed Jay Novacek..who was a clutch TE during the Super Bowl years.. He was Aikman's security blanket.
Gates is still playing and Witten career is in its second coming like Gates..the jury is still out.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 pm

If you look at the top 5 ...they are all HOFers.. Gonzales owns all the records..Mackey was the first true receiving TE and Ditka was a sheer beast.
Here are the ONLY TEs in the NFL HOF....
Dave Casper 1974-1984
Mike Ditka 1961-1972
John Mackey 1963-1972
Ozzie Newsome 1978-1990
Charlie Sanders 1968-1977
Shannon Sharpe 1990-2003
Jackie Smith 1963-1978
Kellen Winslow 1979-1987
Tony Gonzales..class of 2019

I have 7 listed..only Russ Francis, Jay Novacek and Gronk are in my top 10...Even as a Steelers Fan.. Heath Miller would be near the bottom of the top 20
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Witten will be a Hall of Famer though. To me it's not even a question. The definition of consistency. Only game he missed was in his rookie season. I definitely think he's better than Novacek. Novacek was great, sure, but Witten's level of greatness has been sustained for far longer than Novacek's. As for Gronk... he had an EXTREMELY great stretch, but only playing 9 years is going to hurt his chances in the Hall.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:21 pm

RevanFan wrote:Witten will be a Hall of Famer though. To me it's not even a question. The definition of consistency. Only game he missed was in his rookie season. I definitely think he's better than Novacek. Novacek was great, sure, but Witten's level of greatness has been sustained for far longer than Novacek's. As for Gronk... he had an EXTREMELY great stretch, but only playing 9 years is going to hurt his chances in the Hall.

You mean, kind of like Calvin Johnson's chances at the HOF since he retired at, what, 30? Dude was unstoppable. Anyway, didn't knew Witten unretired.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:47 pm

RevanFan wrote:Witten will be a Hall of Famer though. To me it's not even a question. The definition of consistency. Only game he missed was in his rookie season. I definitely think he's better than Novacek. Novacek was great, sure, but Witten's level of greatness has been sustained for far longer than Novacek's. As for Gronk... he had an EXTREMELY great stretch, but only playing 9 years is going to hurt his chances in the Hall.

This isn't the MLB Hall of Fame, Gronk's going to get in. He had the most dominant stretch of TE play in NFL history, and it lasted 9 years.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Although it is true he only played 9 years, I think he did a lot for our team and without him, we wouldn't have won the last few Super Bowls.

Return to “New England Patriots”