Bill Bradley and the Rockies Rebuild

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:11 am

This is a journal of my Rockies rebuild that I'm doing on a game called Out of the Park Baseball. OOTP is a text based simulator and it's pretty much the best of it's kind, at least for baseball. OOTP 16 comes out in a few weeks and if any of you guys are into baseball and would like to pretend to be a GM, this game is a must-have. I thought I'd share this journal here as well as another site. So here goes!

Bill Bradley and the Rockies Rebuilding

I think I'd better introduce myself. I'm Bill Bradley, and I'm the new Rockies GM. I was recently hired, and I'm excited to be a part of this wonderful organization. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, and I lived there until I went off to college to play baseball and get a degree in business. I was drafted professionally by the Baltimore Orioles, but my career fizzled out after a few years, and I decided to join the front office. Here I am!

I hope to get this team up to a championship caliber year in and year out. That will take some work, so bear with me. It may seem at times that I don't know what I'm doing, but trust me, I have a plan, and I am going to stick to it. We have a lot of potential here in Colorado, and gaining assets is a must if we want to compete for the championship soon.

Right now, I don't believe we can win a championship with the current roster. We have a lot of players who fit one of two categories; either they are young and inexperienced, or they are aging veterans at the tail end of their career. We also have two great players. It's not as easy as you would think though. Keeping those players costs a lot of money, and both Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki are nearing the end of their prime. They both have humongous deals that will hinder us if we don't unload them. Even though they are fan favorites, it will be in the best interest of the team.

Until next time,
Bill Bradley

League News:
In addition to Major League Baseball, there are six other leagues in the universe. Each of them now has posting turned on, and I added a maximum posting fee to each one in the range of $10 mm - $20 mm.
Go Browns!

A New Era: My Browns Franchise http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16048

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Bill Bradley and the Rockies Rebuild

Postby RevanFan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:37 am

I will definitely be reading this, although I wish you had picked the Yanks. I'd love for you to bring us back to the top. If we don't win two World Series minimum in each decade, we get frantic.

I have OOTP 14. I got it in the Nerd³ Simulator Humble Bundle, and I ended up playing it for hours on end. It's a truly deep experience.

EDIT: Maybe, later on, the Yanks will fire Cashman and Bill Bradley can sign with them! (One can hope.)
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 am

RevanFan wrote:I will definitely be reading this, although I wish you had picked the Yanks. I'd love for you to bring us back to the top. If we don't win two World Series minimum in each decade, we get frantic.

I have OOTP 14. I got it in the Nerd³ Simulator Humble Bundle, and I ended up playing it for hours on end. It's a truly deep experience.

EDIT: Maybe, later on, the Yanks will fire Cashman and Bill Bradley can sign with them! (One can hope.)

I forgot about the Yankees! I usually write them off when choosing a team to rebuild since I'm so used to them being perennial contenders. That would be a neat team to rebuild, and having all that money would be nice also!
Go Browns!

A New Era: My Browns Franchise http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16048

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:51 am

Entry #2 State of the Roster

Hey guys, it's Bill. I just thought I'd go through the roster and what I see in most of the players. We've certainly got some talent! I'll give a few words about each of the players on my 25 man roster starting from the bottom and working my way up to the players with the highest overall rating.

MR Jordan Lyles; 23 years old(cur: 20/80; pot: 22/80)
Lyles isn't anything special. He's pretty average with all his pitches, and he doesn't have much to overpower or fool hitters with. I'm not sure he has much of a future with the team.

SS Josh Rutledge; 24 years old
(cur: 21/80; pot: 37/80)
Like Lyles, there isn't anything spectacular, but Rutledge does have a couple nice tools. His gap power projects to be a little above average, and his ability to steal and run the bases is his best attribute. I think he can become a serviceable bench player.

C Jordan Pacheco; 28 years old(cur: 21/80; pot: 21/80)
Pacheco is by no stretch of the imagination a starting catcher, but he has good tools and has performed pretty well in the majors and high minors. His contact is slightly above average, and he has surprisingly good instincts on the basepaths for a catcher. I still am not sure what the future holds for Pacheco.

2B DJ Lemahieu; 25 years old(cur: 21/80; pot: 23/80)
I like DJ. If nothing big changes, he'll be the starting 2B for our club this season, despite his low overall ratings. His ability to hit the ball is very good, and his defense and speed are both above average. I guess I'll say it again, I like DJ.

RF Charlie Blackmon; 27 years old(cur: 21/80; pot: 21/80)
Blackmon is okay. Nothing special here. A replacement level type player. Good speed and range in the outfield, but his offense is subpar. Could be an adequate replacement to Cargo if he is dealt, but I might try and shop Blackmon as well.

CF Brandon Barnes; 27 years old(cur: 21/80; pot: 22/80)
Barnes isn't going to be on the team for long. A good bench bat, and he has good speed and defense, but I just don't feel like there is a spot on the team for him. I might have a spot for him in Triple-A though!

CF Corey Dickerson; 24 years old(cur: 21/80; pot: 45/80)
Dickerson came as a center fielder, but his defensive ratings are far better in left field, and when I changed his position, he became a 28 overall with the potential to be a 60 in the future. Not bad. I am impressed with Dickerson and like his future. He should be one of the building blocks going forward, but no one is safe.

SP Franklin Morales; 28 years old(cur: 22/80; pot: 23/80)
His overall ratings are pretty low, at least by my scouting director. I believe that he can be a good middle to back end of the rotation guy. His pitches all grade out above average, and I think he'll be a decent part of the rotation.

1B Justin Morneau; 32 years old(cur: 27/80; pot: 27/80)
A fragile player with two years left on his contract, I think I will be looking to get rid of him. His power would be nice in this park, but he isn't in the future plans.

MR Latroy Hawkins; 41 years old
(cur: 29/80; pot: 29/80)
Hawkins won't be here long, as he's a season or two away from retirement, but he will be a decent late inning reliever for us. I think Latroy will finish his career here, but that's only because he is 41 years old and that he has a team option for next year.

RF Michael Cuddyer; 34 years old(cur: 29/80; pot: 29/80)
Cuddyer has a great bat. It will certainly play well in this park. His salary is a little high, and this year is the last in his contract, so I will definitely be exploring some trade options there. I like him, but he might be a little too expensive. I might potentially hold onto him the whole year to try and get some sort of draft pick compensation, but we shall see.

C Wilin Rosario; 25 years old(cur: 31/80; pot: 57/80)
I like Rosario. He's young, he's got a good bat, and pretty decent behind the dish. His power fits well in this park, and in his first two full seasons, he hit 28 and 21 home runs. Down the road he could be an extension candidate.

MR Adam Ottavino; 28 years old
(cur: 33/80; pot: 37/80)
Ottavino has all of the tools to be a great reliever in the league. He's got a great pitch in his slider, and he is above average with all of his other pitches. For only $502,000 this year, he sure looks like a bargain.

SP Tyler Chatwood; 24 years ol
d(cur: 40/80; pot: 59/80)
Chatwood is in a good spot. He's got good ratings on his pitches, he's young, and he's got the potential to get better. What's not to like? Needless to say, I think he'll be staying in Colorado for awhile.

SP Juan Nicasio; 27 years old(cur: 42/80; pot: 49/80)
Nicasio isn't totally special. He's pretty much above average in most of his stuff, which isn't bad, but it won't make him a great pitcher. He should be a middle of the rotation guy. I might look to move him.

MR Wilton Lopez; 30 years old(cur: 49/80; pot: 49/80)
This guy looks pretty good. His control is impeccable, and he's got some good pitches. I'm not sure how well he'll be, but I definitely think he'll be a pretty darn good reliever.

SP Jorge De La Rosa; 32 years old(cur: 49/80; pot: 49/80)
I have to say, I am not a fan of him. He seems decent, and he's above average in most of his pitch ratings, but I don't think he's worth $11 million. I am going to look to sell immediately.

3B Nolan Arenado; 22 years old
(cur: 52/80; pot: 80/80)
That potential though! Seriously, Arenado should be the cornerstone of my franchise come a few seasons. His power potential looks to be his best tool, which fits well in our park. I will be keeping him, no doubt.

MR Chad Bettis; 24 years old(cur: 53/80; pot: 61/80)
Currently, he's a reliever, but he projects to be a starter, so I might explore that option later in the season. He's above average in most of his ratings. This will be his rookie season, as he only threw 44.2 innings in the majors last year. Probably a keeper, but he could be used.

SP Brett Anderson; 26 years old
(cur: 53/80; pot: 59/80)
Anderson looks like he could be decent, but I don't trust him. His ratings are pretty good, but I might look to move him. That will depend on how his season goes.

MR Matt Belisle; 33 years old(cur: 67/80; pot 67/80)
Belisle looks like one of my top three relievers. His curveball is a great pitch, and everything else is well above average. He's making $4.25 mm this season, and this is his last year here. I may try and extend him, but if I can't do that I'll certainly try to move him.

LF Carlos Gonzalez; 28 years old(cur: 76/80; pot: 77/80)
Cargo is one of my studs, one of my expensive studs. He does everything well. He is injury prone, but when healthy he is still one of the best outfielders in the game. I will be looking to trade him off before his contract gets even more expensive.

CL Rex Brothers; 26 years old(cur: 79/80; pot: 79/80)
You're looking at the Rockies' 2014 closer. I love this guy. He's young and he's got great stuff. He isn't going anywhere, at least not under my watch.

SS Troy Tulowitzki; 29 years old
(cur 80/80; pot: 80/80)
Not much to say here. You guys know about him. He's an 80 overall and he's pretty good in everything. He's making tons of money, and I don't want to pay him all that money.
Go Browns!

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I am a big fan of both Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer (because I'm a Twins fan). Morneau did win the batting title in 2014, so I wouldn't be so quick to part with him. Cuddyer is a great leader on and off the field, so he's probably worth the salary he's getting paid.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Entry #3 The First Month

The season is upon us, and with that comes the release of the top 100 prospect list. Our top ranked batter is Trevor Story, who came in at #77 on the list. David Dahl also made an appearance on the list, and he is ranked at number 99. Eddie Butler is our top ranked pitcher, and top prospect according to this list. He comes in at #33 overall. Jonathan Gray made the list at number 87 also. Our farm system isn't great, overall its ranked number 22. We have some room to improve there.

The first act of business as GM was to fire my scouting director. After going through some of his ratings, I didn't really trust his word. I found a scouting director named Tai Ban from Taiwan. He has only one year of experience under his belt, but his ability to scout is impeccable. He is legendary in scouting the majors, internationally, and scouting amateurs. He also outstanding at the minor league level. Ban agreed to my five year proposal, and just like that, we had a new scouting director.

I was scouring the free agents list trying to find some help, and I had to stop myself from going after Rusney Castillo. I would love to see him in a Rockies uniform, but that wouldn't fit the team philosophy.

Surprisingly, Joel Hanrahan was asking for just a minor league deal, so I offered one to him and within a few days he accepted. I quickly promoted him to the big league team, and I sent Jordan Lyles down to Triple A.

Jhoulys Chacin came off the DL on April 15th, and we activated him and demoted CF Brandon Barnes to Triple- A. We have far too many outfielders on the active roster.

When Boone Logan came off the DL I sent Charlie Blackmon down to Triple-A and activates Logan.

At the end of April we are 15-14, which puts us at third place in the division. I talked with multiple clubs about our two stars, Cargo and Tulo. I had an offer in place with Cincinnati but decided to hold off for now. Tulo did get hurt in the middle of the month putting him on the bench for two weeks, but nothing serious happened. Wilin Rosario was our best hitter of the month. He only hit .198, but he put on a serious show of power. He hit 10 bombs and drove in 22 in the first month. Our best pitcher was Jorge De La Rosa. He won three games, posted an ERA of 2.41, and struck out 37. Not bad for a first month.

Daily Results

Major League News
    Kendrys Morales signed a one year, $2,910,000 contract with Seattle
    The Cardinals traded Jon Jay and Charlie Tilson to Boston for Clay Buccholz
    The Indians traded Nyjer Morgan and Eric Haase to Cincinnati for Mike Leake
    Rusney Castillo signed a one year contract worth $5,240,000 with Seattle.
    The Pirates sent Neil Walker, Mel Rojas, and $3 mm to the Athletics for Josh Reddick.
    The Indians traded Mike Aviles and Ronny Rodriguez to the Brewers in exchange for Khris Davis
    Miami sent Jeff Baker and Edgar Solano to Toronto for former Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey
    Red Sox pitcher Felix Doubront threw a no-hitter against the Blue Jays in a 2-0 win.
    The Diamondbacks sent Eric Chavez and Sergio Alcantara to San Francisco for Pablo Sandoval.
    The Mariners agreed to a trade with the Diamondbacks that would send Logan Morrison and Luiz Gohara to the D-backs. The Mariners will get Wade Miley in return.
    The Red Sox and Nationals agreed to a one-for-one deal of Mike Napoli for Doug Fister.
Top Performances of the month
    Jose Reyes and Adam Laroche both won the Al and NL batter of the month trophy.
    Justin Masterson and Tim Hudson won the AL and NL Pitchers of the month award.
    Xander Bogaerts and Chris Owings were both chosen as the Rookies of the Month in their respective leagues.
Go Browns!

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Danchat wrote:I am a big fan of both Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer (because I'm a Twins fan). Morneau did win the batting title in 2014, so I wouldn't be so quick to part with him. Cuddyer is a great leader on and off the field, so he's probably worth the salary he's getting paid.

That is true. To your leadership point, I'm not sure that leadership is a factor at all in the game. I haven't seen it anywhere in the game, but that would be something interesting.

I would rather keep Morneau over Cuddyer just because Cuddyer's contract expires at the end of the year, and while I could offer him the qualifying offer, I would be a little disappointed if he accepts. I think I can get a decent prospect or two for him, but my main goal right now is to get rid of Tulo and Cargo before their contracts get crazy expensive.
Go Browns!

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:30 pm

I forgot to post the team leaders in statistics for the first month. Here they are!

Go Browns!

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Entry #4 The Month of May

Up to this point we were 15-14, which put us in third place in our division. So let's get going with the second month of the season. Wilin Rosario put on a surprising power show the first month of the season, and if he keeps this pace up, he could possibly hit 50 bombs this year.

A few days in I again tried to fish for offers for Tulowitzki, and I finally got some teams to bite. I was offered players like Justin Upton, Chris Davis, Adam Jones, Mookie Betts, Garin Cecchini, Philip Ervin, and more. I did the same with Gonzalez and again got plenty of bites. There were many impressive players offered, but the one that caught my eye was Joey Gallo. Gallo currently is 20 years old in AA ball, and is rated 21 overall now, with the potential to be a 74. OSA has him rated a little lower, but I trust my scout a bunch.

The draft pool was revealed today, and the top ten list came out with it. The OSA has the following players in their top ten draft prospects list:
  • Max Pentecost, 21 year-old catcher out of college.
  • Derek Hill, 18 year-old center fielder out of high-school.
  • Grayson Greiner, 21 year-old catcher out of college
  • Monte Harrison, 18 year-old center fielder out of high-school.
  • Justin Bellinger, 18 year old first baseman out of high-school.
  • A.J. Reed, 20 year-old first baseman out of college
  • Aramis Garcia, 21 year old catcher out of college.
  • Carlos Rodon, 21 year-old starting pitcher out of college.
  • Bradley Zimmer, 21 year-old center fielder out of college.
  • Jakson Reetz,18 year-old catcher out of high school.

Blockbuster Deal!
I finally found a suitor for Troy Tulowitzki in the Boston Red Sox. We agreed on a five for five deal that sent a number of highly valued prospects to us. I was able to dump over $24 mm of salary for the current season, as well as the $114 mm still left on Tulo's contract. The full deal looked like this:
Rockies Send:
Troy Tulowitzki
Drew Stubbs
Michael Cuddyer
Evan Frey
Juan Nicasio

Red Sox send:
Mookie Betts
Luis Alexander Basabe
Rafael Devers
Wendell Rijo
Garin Cecchini

Tai Ban, our scout, has high praise for Mookie Betts, rating his potential at 79/80. In his scouting report, he went as far as to say that as long as Betts stays healthy, he has a shot at the Hall of Fame. In his report he also said that Betts has almost no flaws in his hitting and that he should be pretty good very soon. Next, Ban went to scout Luis Alexander Basabe. Basabe is a 17 year-old center fielder. Ban says he has the potential to be rated 79/80. In his scouting report, Ban says that Basabe is a scout's dream who projects to have stardom ahead of him. Plus power and a great eye are just a couple of the tools that are impressive with Basabe. Rafael Devers is up next. The 17 year-old third baseman has the potential to be an 80/80 player. Ban says Devers could be one of the most dominant hitters of the next ten to 15 years. He says that Devers projects to hit about .310 in the majors with plus plus power. Wendell Rijo was also one of the prospects acquired in the trade. Ban gives him a rating of 21/80 currently, with the potential to be a 74/80 player. Ban raved about Rijo's tools, saying that he knows how to use them and he thinks that Rijo could be a star. Good tools could carry him to the majors. The second baseman is 18 years old. Last but not least is Garin Cecchini. The third baseman is currently rated a 26 out of 80, but has the potential to be a 73. Ban says that he has impact potential on offense, and that he could hit around .290 and will draw plenty of walks. All in all I think I got a pretty good haul.

Just as the dust was starting to settle, I finalized a deal with the Texas Rangers. I sent Carlos Gonzalez and a few other guys to the Rangers for several top prospects. In this deal, I also cleared up around $8 mm in budget space. The deal looked like this:

Rockies send:
LF Carlos Gonzalez
C Michael McKenry
SP Christian Friedrich
SS Josh Rutledge

Rangers send:
3B Joey Gallo
SS Luis Sardinas
SS Chris Bostick
3B Juremi Profar

Tai Ban gives Joey Gallo a potential rating of 63 out of 80. He says that Gallo has the tools to play at the top level and says that he is the prototypical clean-up hitter. Ban also noted that Gallo has a good eye. Ban focused on Luis Sardinas next. The 21 year-old shortstop has the potential to be a 72/80. He should be an average hitter with a good eye. His defense and speed are both well above average. He will constantly be a threat on the bases. Shortstop Chris Bostick was also a large part of the deal. He has the potential to be rated 74 out of 80. Ban calls him a natural on the field. He projects to be an average contact hitter who could hit 25 bombs every once in awhile. He is very good with the glove and he is a plus runner. He's also a gym rat. Juremi Profar (not to be confused with Jurickson Profar, the former top prospect) is the fourth prospect acquired for Gonzalez. Ban isn't as high on Profar as the rest of the league is, so I decided to trade for him anyways. Ban says he has the potential to be a 39/80 in the future, while the OSA says he could be a 74/80. Ban noted that there is a lot of raw potential here, but he doesn't think Profar can put it all together. Profar has above average contact potential and his approach at the plate is very nice.

Unfortunately, Corey Dickerson went down with an injury, which couldn't have happened at a worse time. Our roster is already very weak after all these trades went down, and now we lost another starter. Dickerson will be out for 5-6 weeks with a strained hamstring. Up until this point he was hitting .307 with four round-trippers and 17 RBIs. Image

I signed Casey Kotchman, Mike Lockwood, and Pedro Okuda to one year, $500k contracts to play at the major league level. All of them are rated as 21/80. We also claimed Don Kelly off of waivers from the Detroit Tigers.

All in all it was a busy month. We traded out two stars away for a haul of prospects. Three of our regular position players were not on the roster at the beginning of the season. Surprisingly, after all that has happened, we are 27-29. Not too bad. I took some big risks, a lot of those prospects are rated highly by my scout, but not by the OSA. I can't wait to see how my guys develop. I do trust Tai and usually go by what he says.

Major League News

• The Oakland A's sent Yoenis Cespedes and $3 mm to the Braves and received Ryan Doumit and Victor Caratini.
  • Albert Pujols his his 500th home run. Image
  • The Diamondbacks traded Trevor Cahill to the Athletics and got prospects Daniel Robertson and Mel Rojas.
  • The Diamondbacks and A's engaged in another trade, this time Arizona ships Aaron Shipman and Chris Kohler to Oakland and they'll receive Mark Trumbo in return.
  • The Braves flipped Jordan Walden and $1.49 mm to the Royals for Cameron Gallagher and Daniel Rockett.
  • The Orioles sent Wei-Yin Chen to the Twins for minor league pitcher Lewis Thorpe.
  • The Pittsburgh Pirates announced they traded Harold Ramirez to the Orioles in exchange for Miguel Gonzalez and $529k in cash.
  • The commisioners office confirmed that the Orioles acquired Justin Nicolino from the Marlins. The Orioles sent Zach Britton and $521k to the Marlins in the deal.
  • The Mariners acquired AJ Ramos from the Marlins for Tyler Marlette and Johmbeker Morales.
  • Pittsburgh acquired Al Alburquerque and Franklin Arias from the Pirates in exchange for Jose Tabata.
  • The Phillies sent Jayson Nix to the Cardinals for Randy Choate and Luis M. Flores.
  • James Paxton was shipped to Cincinnati and the Mariners will receive Ben Lively and Sal Romano in exchange.
  • Minnesota sent Phil Hughes to Houston for Nolan Fontana and Telvin Nash.
  • On May 28, 2014, Clayton Kershaw threw a no-hitter against the Cincinnati Reds. He was perfect except for one walk. He struck out 14 Reds as the Dodgers prevailed 2-0. Image
  • Shelby Miller tossed a no-no on May 28th as well. Miller blanked the Yankees in a 4-0 Cardinals win. He struck out 6 and walked 1. Image
  • The Red Sox signed Jon Lester to a two-year extension worth $21 mm total.
  • The White Sox sent Adam Dunn to the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for Tony Sanchez and Jin-De Jhang.
  • The Rangers sent Leonys Martin to the Nationals and received Tanner Roark in return.
  • Wily Peralta of the Brewers was sent to Pittsburgh in exchange for pitching prospect Tyler Glasnow.
  • The Diamondbacks sent JJ Putz to San Francisco in exchange for Adalberto Meija, Chris Marlowe, and Ty Ross.
  • Bryan Evans was traded to St. Louis with Edmundo Sosa going to Miami.
  • Hisashi Iwakuma of the Seattle Mariners threw a perfect game on May 31, 2014. He defeated the Tigers 5-0 while striking out four. History was made! Image
Top Performances of the month
  • Brandon Belt and Miguel Cabrera won the Batter of the Month award in their respective leagues.
  • Justin Verlander was named the top pitcher in the AL for the month of May. Zack Greinke was named top pitcher in the NL in may.
  • Josmil Pinto and Wilmer Flores won the AL and NL Rookie of the Month awards in their respective leagues.
Go Browns!

bengalmike
All-Pro

Postby bengalmike » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 pm

May 2014 Stats and Standings

Go Browns!

Return to “Other Sports Journals”