40 yard dash

coventryjets
Pro Bowl

40 yard dash

Postby coventryjets » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am

What does an average high school wr get in the 40 yard dash??
I'm 16 and I got 4.84 in my teams combine here in the UK...
Just wanna see how fast I need to get to be US standard.
Cheers

40 yard dash

Sponsor

Sponsor

superben21
MVP

Re: 40 yard dash

Postby superben21 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:15 pm

IDK what the average is but I'm 16 and I just got clocked at 4.4 the other day :D
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

aramsbradford08
All-Pro

Postby aramsbradford08 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:45 pm

usually anywhere between 4.3-5.0.
a lot of kids that play football, especially wide recievers, corners, and running backs also sprint track, to help with speed. it also really depends on your school's division too. the school i went to, and the schools in the county, only have so many kids. most of us had to play offense and defense. the bigger division schools have wayy better training, helping kids in anyway they can to get them ready for the college level.

dawg317
MVP

Postby dawg317 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 pm

40 yard dash is really a wasteful measuring stick any way. I never played organized football but when I ran track I was faster, for 40 yards, than the school's record holder in the 100, 200, and 400. When it came down to the 100, he usually beat me by a full second (or more). My strength was being able to come out of the blocks quickly and hit my top speed quickly. Others start out slowly and pick up speed.

What I'm really trying to say is don't worry about the 40 time too much. Your agility and hands are much more important as a WR. Sure speed helps, but I've seen fast WRs run down by a slower LB. For example in today's 49ers v. Browns game, Michael Crabtree was covered by LB Chris Gocong. Gocong was right with him and prevented the catch. Is Gocong that fast? Absolutely not, but he was able to take the proper angle and put himself in position to make the play. Speed helps, but many times technique will get the advantage over speed.
"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." - John Madden

NFLVICK7
MVP

Postby NFLVICK7 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:30 pm

dawg317 wrote:40 yard dash is really a wasteful measuring stick any way. I never played organized football but when I ran track I was faster, for 40 yards, than the school's record holder in the 100, 200, and 400. When it came down to the 100, he usually beat me by a full second (or more). My strength was being able to come out of the blocks quickly and hit my top speed quickly. Others start out slowly and pick up speed.

What I'm really trying to say is don't worry about the 40 time too much. Your agility and hands are much more important as a WR. Sure speed helps, but I've seen fast WRs run down by a slower LB. For example in today's 49ers v. Browns game, Michael Crabtree was covered by LB Chris Gocong. Gocong was right with him and prevented the catch. Is Gocong that fast? Absolutely not, but he was able to take the proper angle and put himself in position to make the play. Speed helps, but many times technique will get the advantage over speed.

Game speed means a lot more than the 40 yd dash. Someone on here said they clocked Mike vick running a 3.92 40 in a game when he was with ATL. Speed is important but if you run good routes, make all the easy catches, and some difficult ones, and know how to get open you'll be fine.

I ran a 4.3 40 in HS. Not flat but i kno it was 4.3 something. But the other WR was a skinny track sprinter ran a 4.2 and was faster than me. But i was stronger and more agile. He couldn't break tackles, and he dropped a lot of passes until our senior year.
The Eagle's Hopes And Dreams

TheWahls
Rookie

Postby TheWahls » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:35 am

Just a noob here, but:

That 3.9 that was clocked was a flying forty, which is a forty where you're already moving. A normal 40 you're at a stop and the clock starts on first movement. 3.9 is pretty fast for a flying forty, but we had a kid around here that would consistently get 3.95 to 4.05. The 10 and 20 yard times are much more important in football than the 40, IMO.

Return to “High School Football”