A Rookie's Guide to Madden Online Play

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:15 am

Special thanks to Wiggin for giving me permission to share this tutorial. If anything in this post needs attention, just send me a PM - I'll try my best to keep this tutorial up-to-date and relevant!

This is a three-part guide. In Part 1, you will learn how to enable online play for Madden 08 PC by patching the game to v4.0, and you'll learn how to update your rosters for a better multiplayer experience. In Part 2, you will learn how to install the Evolve Client; and connect to the Madden Live Online room, where you can find a match to play against. And finally, in Part 3, you'll learn how find an opponent, and play a game.

Ready? Let's get started.

Make sure you are not running any mods before you begin.

Part 1 - [Patching to v4.0; Updating rosters]

1. Download the v4.0 patch from here, and put all the files in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08.
    2. Download all the updated roster files from here, and put them all in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08 > Rosters.
    3. [optional] Player portraits are not required to play, but if you want to use them, click here. Install the UIS_LIB_PLAYER_PORT.dat file in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08.
    3a. When you first download the player portraits file, it will be a .7z file. You will need to extract the .7z file using a program called 7zip to get the .dat file that goes in Start > Documents > Madden NFL 08.

That's it! If you want to make sure you installed the files correctly, start up Madden NFL 08. In the top right corner of the main menu it should say version 4.0. To make sure the rosters are correctly installed, click Menu on the Madden main menu screen, then select File. All the rosters you downloaded should be listed.

Now that you've finished that, it's time to move on to Part 2!

Part 2 - [Installing Evolve; Connecting to the Madden Live Online room]

1. Download and Install the Evolve Client from here. You will need to create an Evolve account, unless you already have one.
    2. To join the Madden Live Online room, make sure you're logged in to Evolve on your browser, click this link, then click the Join the Party! button. It will open the Evolve application on your computer.
    2a. If you have Windows 10, Evolve will not work unless you do this easy fix.
    3. You should now be seeing this screen, or something like it:
    4. You should see your name in the list on the right side, with a green dot and an IP address.
    5. To test that you are properly connected to Evolve, pick someone's name in the list who also has a green dot, and right click on their name and select Ping. This will bring up a box that gives you important information. [Example: Reply from 10.50.214.26: bytes=32 time=108 TTL=128] The important part of this information is the time. this indicates how many milliseconds it takes to send and receive information from that person. You want 100ms or below for a lag-free game. If you ping someone and you get Reply timed out, it means that they don't have Evolve set up properly, and they cannot host a game. They still should be able to join a game if you host.

Got Evolve installed? Time for Part 3!

Part 3 - [Finding an opponent; Playing a game]

1. Connect to the Madden Live Online room by clicking the "Show hidden icons" button on your taskbar, then click the Evolve icon. Choose Friends, then double-click Madden Live Online to join the room.
    2. Use the chat to find someone to play a game with you. Decide together which roster you're going to use, and who's going to host the game. Also, find your opponent's IP address from the list on the right, and copy it down. You'll need it later.
    3. Start up Madden NFL 08. On the main menu screen, click Menu, then choose File, then load the roster you and your opponent decided upon.
    If you are hosting the game, follow step 4a. If you're opponent is hosting the game, then skip to step 4b.
    4a. Click Play Online on the main menu screen, then select Network Game, then choose Host Internet from the drop down menu and wait.
    4b. Click Play Online on the main menu screen, then select Network Game, then choose Join Internet from the drop down menu. Enter your opponent's IP address that you copied down, click Connect, and wait.
Note: Generally we don't use rosters other than the ones in this guide, or mods, on Evolve for Madden online play. It is possible, however; to do so, as long as your opponent is running the same roster or mod. One mod that some people use for online play is the Monday Night Football Mod. If you want to use it, then just make sure your opponent is using it too, or the game will crash.

If you have any questions, check the 7th post in this thread, or ask me.

If you have any comments, tips, or suggestions, feel free to let me know.

I'll see you on Evolve!

Sponsor

Sponsor

WillProsper
All-Pro

Re: A Rookie's Guide to Madden Online Play

Postby WillProsper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:57 am

Thanks for this. Now, I have a few questions:

You mentioned that no mods should be running at the time of install, but later you seen to indicate that mods can be used as long as both players agree. Can you elaborate on this?

Is there a simple way to have both a mod folder (say FFXV) with supporting files), and the original with v4.0 patch, available for easy access? I would like to continue using FF mod for franchise, but need the v.4.0 for online, right?

With this online method, can players continue to use Calhoupe's script 122, and texmod? If so, do players need the exact same setup?

Thanks again!
"People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society." -Vince Lombardi

My Franchise Journal: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18486

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:04 am

WillProsper wrote:Thanks for this. Now, I have a few questions:

You mentioned that no mods should be running at the time of install, but later you seen to indicate that mods can be used as long as both players agree. Can you elaborate on this?

Is there a simple way to have both a mod folder (say FFXV) with supporting files), and the original with v4.0 patch, available for easy access? I would like to continue using FF mod for franchise, but need the v.4.0 for online, right?

With this online method, can players continue to use Calhoupe's script 122, and texmod? If so, do players need the exact same setup?

Thanks again!

4.0 is installed in Program Files. The FF Mod simply overrules 4.0. Uninstall the FF mod and 4.0 returns. So you'll need to take off the FF mod if you're not gaming online with someone else using it.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

WillProsper
All-Pro

Postby WillProsper » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:11 am

RevanFan wrote:4.0 is installed in Program Files. The FF Mod simply overrules 4.0. Uninstall the FF mod and 4.0 returns. So you'll need to take off the FF mod if you're not gaming online with someone else using it.

Thanks, so I can keep the Mod, as long as other's I'm playing with have the same?
I'm guessing that most folks still running 08PC are using FF mod, right?

How about Calhoupe and Texmod? Can these still work?
"People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society." -Vince Lombardi

My Franchise Journal: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18486

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:19 am

WillProsper wrote:
RevanFan wrote:4.0 is installed in Program Files. The FF Mod simply overrules 4.0. Uninstall the FF mod and 4.0 returns. So you'll need to take off the FF mod if you're not gaming online with someone else using it.

Thanks, so I can keep the Mod, as long as other's I'm playing with have the same?
I'm guessing that most folks still running 08PC are using FF mod, right?

How about Calhoupe and Texmod? Can these still work?

Apparently, most people who play online don't use the mod, or so I've heard.

As for your other questions, I have no idea. I don't play online.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:07 am

WillProsper wrote:Is there a simple way to have both a mod folder (say FFXV) with supporting files), and the original with v4.0 patch, available for easy access?

Yes, the JSGME utility will allow you enable and disable mods easily. Here is a link for JSGME.

Send me a PM if you don't know how to use it.

WillProsper wrote:I would like to continue using FF mod for franchise, but need the v.4.0 for online, right?

With JSGME, you can turn off the FF/FI XV Mod, and then turn on the v4.0 patch for playing online. Then, after you're done playing online, you can turn off the v4.0 patch, and turn back on the FF/FI XV Mod for your franchise.

WillProsper wrote:With this online method, can players continue to use Calhoupe's script 122, and texmod? If so, do players need the exact same setup?

I've never tried, but I think you can use Calhoupe's Madden Scripts, as long as both players have the same scripts loaded. As for Texmod, I don't think both players need the same setup. I think you can use Texmod and load in textures on your PC, and your opponent doesn't have to do the same. Once again, I'm not completely sure on that; I've never tried.

Wiggin
Veteran

Postby Wiggin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:06 pm

The reason there is a dependency with the instructions is originally the evolve community wasn't supporting mods. This sort of changed recently but to a greater extent it's easier to help someone if they are starting with a blank slate. Less guess work on trying to figure out what has already been done.

You can also just run two different installations of Madden08 but you would have to rename/change the name of the folder found your documents depending if you were playing with FF or not.

If you're interested in trying FF mod online please hit me up on steam or evolve.

- Wiggin

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 am

Wiggin wrote:You can also just run two different installations of Madden08 but you would have to rename/change the name of the folder found your documents depending if you were playing with FF or not.

Or, you can use the JSGME utility to turn mods on and off. Here's a screenshot:

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (17.87 KiB) Viewed 14712 times

If you want to use this utility, click here to download it.

Wiggin
Veteran

Postby Wiggin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Just an FYI Evolve has shut down on 6.1.17 so we can no longer use it to play online. Quite unfortunate news to be honest. I don't really check on here that often so if you want to contact me then use one of the links below.

http://blog.evolvehq.com/2017/06/going-way-dodo/

A sad day and an end to an interesting program and a community. Hopefully we can find something else but I would not hold you breath.

- Wiggin

Return to “Online Play”