Trying 2K5 on XBOX vs PS2

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:44 pm

I already have 2K5 on my XBOX running perfectly fine, but it does involve hooking up the XBOX.
Just found out about playing on PC. The thing is, if there is no other benefit to playing a PS2 version because rosters are the only thing available for this game, and on top of that you lose the full video highlight reels, is there a reason I'm not getting for why you'd play the PS2 version if, like me, you can already play on XBOX? Because, without getting into details, the PS2 method on PC didn't exactly produce graphics that looked any good. And I don't mean, the graphics were dated, I mean even for the quality of the game, the graphics didn't seem properly reproduced.

Any thoughts here? Just want to understand why the PS2 method is so passionately liked in the community? Just because it can be done?

Thanks!

Sponsor

Sponsor

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Re: Trying 2K5 on XBOX vs PS2

Postby cyclone2426 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

I think that the PS2 version gets love because of the fact that it is "playable" on PC, but in terms of a pure 2K5 experience, if you have an XBOX thats the way to go.

tinpanalley
All-Pro

Postby tinpanalley » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:08 pm

cyclone2426 wrote:I think that the PS2 version gets love because of the fact that it is "playable" on PC, but in terms of a pure 2K5 experience, if you have an XBOX thats the way to go.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I appreciate the ability to play quickly by launching in the emulator and the ability to tweak graphics, the ease of roster manipulation and all that. But there is funky behaviour in the emulator and audio skips and, well, full motion replays and I already have it on the XBOX, like I said.
Thanks.

tomkatt
All-Pro

Postby tomkatt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm

tinpanalley wrote:I already have 2K5 on my XBOX running perfectly fine, but it does involve hooking up the XBOX.
Just found out about playing on PC. The thing is, if there is no other benefit to playing a PS2 version because rosters are the only thing available for this game, and on top of that you lose the full video highlight reels, is there a reason I'm not getting for why you'd play the PS2 version if, like me, you can already play on XBOX? Because, without getting into details, the PS2 method on PC didn't exactly produce graphics that looked any good. And I don't mean, the graphics were dated, I mean even for the quality of the game, the graphics didn't seem properly reproduced.

Any thoughts here? Just want to understand why the PS2 method is so passionately liked in the community? Just because it can be done?

Thanks!

Well, you need a pretty good PC, but you can upscale the game, use aftermarket shader injection like Reshade 3, and it looks and runs pretty darn well. I was playing last night at an upscaled internal resolution of 3200x2400 I think, and it looks quite good on a 4k TV in conjunction with a scanline shader and FXAA.

The only thing missing is full replays at halftime. So far I've yet to find a way to emulate the HDD. But I'm playing at well above 1440p with graphical improvements, a 2017 current roster and schedule via memcard save modification. So I can't see why you wouldn't want to play this way.

If you dig it on XBox that's great. I think it was a great platform and definitely the best version of the game at the time of release. But there's no decent Xbox emulator available, and an original XBox doesn't exactly play nice with a 4k TV.

Return to “Other Football Games”