Modding Fundamentals

Modifying Madden 08.
truetothegame13
MVP

Re: Modding Fundamentals

Postby truetothegame13 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:06 pm

elguapo, or anyone who can help.

im wanting to redo maddens main menu, at least for an example in order to show me how to make images have transparent backgrounds. since i only have paint.net and gimp, i tried using your paint.net method you have listed on your youtube channel. im wanting to just modify the default white bar that goes behind the text, such as "play now", "game modes", etc. i ripped the original image using DFR, MMAPrer, from the uis_lib_common dat file. the only difference i noticed between your method from my attempt to copy yours, is that by default MMAPer exports it with a black background instead of a transparent one. thats the only difference i noticed. so thats my only idea of why it is messing up.
My Corner (my threads): Includes tips for graphics, settings, screen resolution, sliders. Great roster resources from multi-platforms (converting/porting). 4GB patch for 64-bit processors.

Sponsor

Sponsor

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:12 pm

truetothegame13 wrote:1. what program to use to find the open slot in uniforms.dat. and how can i tell if its an open slot?
-
2. do i create the new entry with the same program i used for the 1st step above (1.)? how exactly?

1. Dat File Replace (DFR). Open the uniforms.dat and look for a slot that says NULL. It might help you to click the box on the bottom left that says "use zero based arrays" so that you can remember the slot number you placed your file into. That will be your UFID number.

2. You open your roster with db editor. Go to the TUNI table. Right click and select "add new entry." This will create a blank line. You fill in your UFID number, the TGID (team number), and then put 0 for TUCO since I assume this is the home uniform for your team.

Next, you use DFR to open up the db templates file and extract file 12. Open file 12 with db editor. Go to the UNIF and once again, right click and select "add new entry." You can find information on what each of the columns like UDSL, ULTF, UNUM, etc. by searching the forum. Make your edits but make sure you enter the correct UFID number and then re-insert file 12 into db templates.

truetothegame13
MVP

Postby truetothegame13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:05 am

-----------------------
My Corner (my threads): Includes tips for graphics, settings, screen resolution, sliders. Great roster resources from multi-platforms (converting/porting). 4GB patch for 64-bit processors.

Kevin5455
Hall of Fame

Postby Kevin5455 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Question...I made the uni file with the new uniform/dds, etc. How do I import it for a custom team?

truetothegame13
MVP

Postby truetothegame13 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 pm

i successfully removed the nameplate today via dat (for non-custom teams at least).

thank you for the great videos elguapo.

truetothegame13
MVP

Postby truetothegame13 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:12 pm

im having this issue.

i want basic looking numbers. no 2nd layer. i would rip the custom teams numbers. the ones i am able to rip from texmod were way better quality than what the basic rip home jersey option in muer. if i open the team uni file in muer, the numbers in bitmap would be decent quality. i could just try retrying with those. but perhaps im doing something else wrong.

my issue is, with the numbers from texmod, in png format, i would do the exact same thing that elguapo did in the video, but the numbers would still come out like this anywhere in the main menu area. in game they would come out perfect. is it because he was using jpg before copy and pasting over to the final resized number rectangle?

im also using offwhite instead of pure white FFFFFF. ive heard we cant use pure black or pure white am i wrong?

the numbers would usually look the same, but in the following pic just a hair different, because i attempted to make the 2nd number 32x64 (halfsize), to see if that was the problem.

here is what my issue looks like:
Attachments
screen0233.png
screen0233.png (662.09 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:23 pm

truetothegame13 wrote:im having this issue.

i want basic looking numbers. no 2nd layer. i would rip the custom teams numbers. the ones i am able to rip from texmod were way better quality than what the basic rip home jersey option in muer. if i open the team uni file in muer, the numpers in bitmap would be decent quality. i could just try retrying with those. but perhaps im doing something else wrong.

my issue is, with the numbers from texmod, in png format, i would do the exact same thing that elguapo did in the video, but the numbers would still come out like this anywhere in the main menu area. in game they would come out perfect. is it because he was using jpg before copy and pasting over to the final resized number rectangle?

im also using offwhite instead of pure white FFFFFF. ive heard we cant use pure black or pure white am i wrong?

here is what my issue looks like:

That is due to the difference in quality between the team in the picture and whatever the Patriots home uniform has (that uniform is the basis for some reason). So the Patriots uni might have numbers that are 128x256, whereas your team's number might be 64x128 or something to that effect. That difference is what causes them to look weird in the menus and uniform select. They will show correctly in game though.

truetothegame13
MVP

Postby truetothegame13 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 pm

so if we wanted to perfect it would the only option be to use a tpf/texmod for numbers?

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:03 pm

truetothegame13 wrote:so if we wanted to perfect it would the only option be to use a tpf/texmod for numbers?

No you can do hi-def numbers with DAT, you just gotta make sure all the teams are at the same quality so they show correctly in the menus, but like I said, they'll show correctly in game regardless. Like when I do my HD unis I'll usually do my numbers at 256x512 for quality purposes, and they show fine in game, and if I have the Patriots home uni (more specifically whatever uniform is in slot 251) with the same quality/size numbers, then they'll show fine in the menus.

truetothegame13
MVP

Postby truetothegame13 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:49 pm

so let me get this straight; i should export slot 251, import new uni into that exported uni file with dex, and then import to whichever uniform file. and also just make sure the number size is 256x512?

Return to “Modding”