Best Way to Approach a 2002 Texans "Expansion Draft"?

Modifying Madden 08.
musicallyadd
Rookie

Postby musicallyadd » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am

So I really love the thought of doing an expansion draft with the 02 Texans-- I'd want to use the same list of unprotected players (perhaps with a little bit of tampering on my part -- I'm thinking unprotected players list and then any player not in the top 12/15 OVR for each team). I found the list:

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002 ... 15608.html

But I've yet to find a workable 2002 roster that I can use. I guess another option would be to use a 2003 roster, return any players picked in the expansion draft to their rightful team and then go from there... but I'd like '02 if possible.

I'd then want to try and re-arrange the draft by selecting my own players and deciding where others would fall. If anyone has any thoughts or might be able to assist with the "what-ifs" that this provides, let me know.

Thanks!

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Best Way to Approach a 2002 Texans "Expansion Draft"?

Postby AaronS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I did something similar with 1995 (Panthers and Jaguars)

The easiest thing (I thought, and as you suggested) was to just start from the Expansion Draft with the players assigned as they were drafted.

You can find a list of players who were available for Expansion Draft on NFL.com, but I just don't trust that it's a comprehensive list... maybe it is, maybe that's enough for you to run with.. but I thought the Texans did pretty well in their Expansion Draft (Aaron Glenn, Gary Walker, Marcus Coleman..)

On NFL.com (in the 'transactions' section) you can build your free agent pool from the list of players who's contracts expired and those that were cut/released after 2001. (I'll warn you though, it's a MAJOR time sucker sifting through all that data!!!)

The college Draft is easy to put together, and 2002 is one of the best in terms of starting a franchise (1st-Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, John Henderson, Ed Reed.. 2nd-Clinton Portis.. 3rd-Brian Westbrook) That class had handful of HOF-caliber guys, plenty of Pro Bowlers, and some solid core players.

.. I believe I have the Madden 2003 (2002 roster) from back in the day. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I posted it at some point.. maybe it didn't survive the site attack) It would take some effort to get it going for 2007/2008 though (faces/portraits/skin color wouldn't match, some ratings are missing.. the roster would be little other than a data dump)... I'll repost it if you're interested.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 am

I believe I have the Madden 2002 .csv file (2001 roster)... It has all the relevant player ratings and data, but EA wasn't turning out the best rosters at that point. There will be missing players, and some pretty whacked ratings... but you may find that is a good starting point.

I'll post that this evening if you think you want it.

musicallyadd
Rookie

Postby musicallyadd » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks for your advice! I would really appreciate a copy of that roster if you're still able. All of the ones for that year I have tried have crashed, so one that is franchise-tested is greatly appreciated! Going back to Jags/Pathers is a pretty cool idea too-- Houston did do a pretty good job with their expansion draft, but I felt there were some missed opportunities that they passed on. My main thought was if they were to grab Jeff Blake as QB and then went in a different direction (like Julius Peppers) at #1 overall, waiting to grab a franchise QB until either Palmer in the 03 draft or Eli/Ben/Philip in the 04 draft. But again, thanks for the help!

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 am

Having issues tracking the file down.

I had a hard drive fail last year, hoping it wasnt on that.

I know I've got it somewhere though....

musicallyadd
Rookie

Postby musicallyadd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 am

Just let me know-- I was able to make the old 1986 roster work. So I'm knee-deep in a franchise right about now, but I'd love to have the roster if you do find it.

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:24 pm

you can actually do it in madden 2002

Return to “Modding”