NASCAR 07

BengalsFan14
Rookie

NASCAR 07

Postby BengalsFan14 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:25 pm

So, I'm a new user, I don't know how to exactly introduce myself properly, but, I'll just say I'm a man on a mission. Maybe I'll get hope, I'm really hoping for it.

So, yesterday I decided on a whim to do something nobody else has really done before, breakdown one of the EA Sports NASCAR games to view unused and hidden assets. I decided on NASCAR 07 cause I love the game. And this is where my journey down the rabbit hole goes. Starting with the fact the EA NASCAR games used the Madden engine. So I got out my personal copy of NASCAR 07 on Xbox and started digging in.

Within one day I learned hex editing, and digging through DAT and TERF files. I was able to extract all the video and the in game soundtrack just fine with some educated guesses on what the file formats were. But that's where things went ice cold. I started trying to gain access into driver pictures and signatures, only to get the end result of MMAP files. I have no clue how they work, but I know it's EA's version of an image file. I've been using this site for research and trying to break into and access these files, thinking that they MUST somehow be interconnected enough without too much pain and suffering.

I've been trying to use MMAPer for a while with Mad Mod X 4.0 and all I'm returning are black images with no true sign that they're actually image files or MMAP's. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I can show screenshots if anyone is willing to help.

There was also the matter of sound files, which I was able to discover on a forum post here is the result of EA taking a bunch of sound files in .asf format supposedly, and grouping them all together. I would whip out HxD and slowly try to trim out at least one file for conversion and just get constant errors in the conversion process, I keep thinking I'm messing something up. And I guess now is the case where I call for help. You guys understand the EA Sports Madden engine much better than I do, and its ins and outs. If any of you guys can help or give me pointers where to go, it will be much appreciated.

NASCAR 07

Sponsor

Sponsor

TheKngOfRckNRoll
Rookie

Re: NASCAR 07

Postby TheKngOfRckNRoll » Sat May 27, 2023 2:02 pm

I would whip out HxD and slowly try to trim out at least one file for conversion and just get constant errors in the conversion process, I keep thinking I'm messing something up. And I guess now is the case where I call for help.

As far as I remember, I managed to extract all the sounds (crew chief, commentators, etc.) using the madden_terf plugin for QuickBMS. It turned out about 600 .wav files

And now - do you have any success in extracting textures, models? The fact is that I myself have been looking for a way to get them for a very long time. I have some research (described below)
It seems to me that all the problems are stuck in one reason - NASCAR IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A POPULAR GAME FOR MODDING.

Nevertheless , I still do not give up trying to finally crack the f**king format .DAT

Just in case, I'll leave you a couple of links with my research on this issue. Specifically how does QuickBMS see Dat
https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=26538

And some documentation on the format
http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/EA_DAT_TERF

P. S. Glad to see that im not alone in this question :) :)

Return to “Other Sports Games”